Our theme options keep automatically resetting to default.

This is the third time our theme options have automatically reset back to default settings. When this happens, we lose all custom settings including css. It completely breaks our website. Please assist!

Comments

• Hi,

this is unbound to theme and that's why there is nothing what we can do in this case. We suggest to check the limits of your server under Appearance > System Status section and also, please check your plugins because one of them might be the culprit.
  • Many of my Wordpress installations share the same plugins and BeTheme is the only one that keeps resetting. With that being said...

1) Could you tell me "which" server settings specifically I need to check? Everything is running well within the requirements for this theme and Wordpress.

2) Can you tell me where to find the default admin settings? Maybe I can add my settings to the default settings and when it resets, my settings will be applied.

3) Could your team investigate BeTheme for this? It cannot be a coincidence and this is the only theme I've ran into this problem with...
  • edited May 2016
    1) We are not server experts so we don't know which one should be checked exactly. However, we had similar situation once in the past and the problem was sorted by admin. There was something on server side but we did never get specific details of what has been changed exactly.

2) Options can be reset to default under Theme options > Backup & Reset section.

3) We investigated enough time already into this and like we already wrote above, this is unbound to theme. We suggest to investigate time to check this theme on another (better) hosting. And we would be grateful if you can do not compare BeTheme with "other" themes because we are sure that those "other" themes does not have even 50% of BeTheme features.

Thanks for understanding!
  • edited October 2016
    I'm another theme user with the same problem. The theme options were erased and we needed to restore the settings with an previously exported options file.

Below are two settings showing up red in system status. Could these settings be the problem? I changed the PHP Time Limit to 180 but I don't know what to change the PHP Max Input Vars to? Is it supposed to be unlimited? I change it to 2000 and it still shows up as a red warning.

----------

PHP Time Limit: [?] 60 - We recommend setting max execution time to at least 180. See: Increasing max execution to PHP

PHP Max Input Vars: [?] 1000 - Max input vars limitation will truncate POST data such as menus.
  • @wokabout Please increase both if are limited and check if this would change anything.
  • Both items were increased and the theme reset itself again. Below is a recent error in the errorlog. Does this provide any information on why it's happening?

[29-Oct-2016 15:24:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function get_header() in /home/user123/public_html/wp-content/themes/betheme/index.php on line 10

• I have the same issue...
  • 1. "PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_header()" message means that you have a problem with WordPress installation or server because it is a default WordPress function what you can see on https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_header

These kind of errors might be related with saving errors (including reset to defaults). Saving options is using also built-in WordPress function which is update_option()

We recommend to remove everything: WordPress, theme, plugins, database, etc (thru FTP) and then do the fresh installation of all components via FTP as well to be sure that all files were transferred complete.

2. As we mentioned above, update_option() function is being used while saving. Options are being saved in wp_options table with option_name: "betheme" key. In option_value field there should be serialized table with all theme options. If these options would be somehow overwritten, you should check in server logs what exactly has been saved inside this table field.
  • i have same issue occur. my theme setting option this third time to resetting the all option.
    also i have display following error on system status check.

1000 - Max input vars limitation will truncate POST data such as menus.

• @resolutesolutions We have no idea what this might be as we did never faced anything similar on our end and we have few different hosting services for tests of course. So we are sure this has completely nothing to do with the theme.
  • Hello, 
    I have used many different themes and run many websites.  I am seeing this same issue and have never had this happen before.
    All of my fonts just reset to Arial in BeTheme Options.
    I had the colors reset to default the other day and I thought it must have been something I clicked by accident.  But now again.  
    A colleague recommended BeTheme to me because of the prebuilt sites and the ease of use.  Incidentally, HE DID mention that sometimes the options reset and that is frustrating.  He was using Flywheel, which is a very user friendly platform.
    I am on a different hosting plan,a VPS.

But now I see exactly what he is talking about.

Obviously there is an issue.  I do not have caching turned on, and barely have ANY plugins installed, just the ones that my theme "recommended".  

This makes designing with BeTheme very counter productive.  Was a slution ever found?

• mtdakota
    Hi,

please go to your FTP, create php file with phpinfo() function inside and send us link to that file privately thru the contact form which is on the right side at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup#contact so we can have a look on your server settings. The problem is probably related to limits but to be sure which one is the reason, we need that link. For more details about file creation, please visit https://mediatemple.net/community/products/dv/204643880/how-can-i-create-a-phpinfo.php-page.

Notice!
    1. If you are chatting with support via email please do not post here.
    2. Attach your license key and the wordpress admin login credentials.
    3. Link to this discussion.

Thanks

• hello,
    I have a similar issue, my betheme settings revert back to the default setting, especially the footer, responsive and menu options keeps reverting back.
  • Padraigmallon
    Please also use the instructions we posted above and send us the link.
    thanks
  • Hello, 
    Here is the link to the phpinfo file:- http://mmservicesltd.com/phpinfo.php
    Thanks
  • Padraigmallon
    Please contact your hosting provider and ask him to increase the max_input_vars value to about 5000.
    You should also update the version of your php.
    thanks