Help! WordPress function wp_remote_get() test failed

edited July 2016 in Theme Options
I'm getting this message, when trying to load Betheme demos. I contacted my hosting company with the reply (below)! 

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this problem?

WordPress function wp_remote_get() test failed. Looks like your server is not fully compatible with WordPress. Contact your hosting provider. Status code: 401

You27/07/2016 14:42 I'm getting this message: WordPress function wp_remote_get() test failed. Looks like your server is not fully compatible with WordPress. Contact your hosting provider. Error: Failure when receiving data from the peer. 

I'm trying to download demo content from BeTheme. 
Support27/07/2016 16:53 Hi Edward, 

Looks like you're not the only one see here http://forum.muffingroup.com/betheme/discussion/12103/wp-remote-get-demo-download-no-header-menu-of-footer-settings 

This will be a settings issue in your script. Hopefully you'll find an answer there. We can't troubleshoot 3rd party issues but looking at the error on this page I would say the server is fine (or we'd be in big trouble). Let us know how you get on as this may come up again with this theme. 

Best Wishes 

Matt Reed 
Support Team

Comments

• Your hosting provider is definitely wrong and did not even checked what might be the reason. We strongly recommend to change provider if he is not able to check it. The problem with wp_remote_get() exist in maybe 0.1% of all users or even less. So as you understand, this has nothing to theme and we appreciate if you can pass this information to your provider because looks like they have no idea about what they say. Problem with wp_remote_get() function usually exist when loopbacks or mod_security are on your server. But in such case, we have no impact on it. Please notice that this WP requires those options to be off and if your provider does not understand it, means your hosting is not fully compatible with Wordpress.
  • This is the reply I received from the Eco Hosting

Thanks for the response. 

Lopopbacks aren't alloweds. Mod Sec is enabled for security reasons but my guess is that the cURL loopback connections are the cause of this issue and we cannot lift this limitation as it is platform wide. 

What are their recommendations for this issue if loopbacks are prevented? (Other than switching hosts). \ Do they provide another solution for demo data retrieval and install? 
  • @edwardashmere Our recommendation is to enable loopbacks and mod security to check if one of the is not the reason.
  • I think it will be easier to change hosts, who would you recommend?
  • Lot's of our customers use MediaTemple, GoDaddy or OVH. But it's just enough if you will get any hosting just for tests and you will check it. It is usually possible to try hosting for 10, 15 or even 30 days.