Portfolio Category Page 404 Error

Hi,

I am trying to set up some links to portfolio category pages so that I have some pages with portfolio items already "pre-filtered" but users still have the option to use the filter to view other items in other categories. However, when I go to the individual portfolio category URL, I am given a 404 error. These are categories that have portfolio items in them and are visible on the main Portfolio page. When I just try to link directly to the category's URL, I am given a 404 message. I have already gone to Settings > Permalinks and clicked Save Changes, so I don't think the problem is with changing the permalink slug.

My questions are:
  1. Why am I seeing a 404 error on portfolio categories pages (yes, these portfolio categories have items in them)?
  2. Once I can get the portfolio category page to work, is there a way to customize the look and design of this page so that it can look exactly like the primary Portfolio page?
  3. Do you suggest a better way of linking to a "pre-filtered" portfolio page so that when a user visits, they only see items in that selected category but the rest of the page design/layout is still the same as the primary Portfolio page?
Thank you.

Comments

• Hi,

1. What's the link of your portfolio category pages where you get 404 error? Did you changed permalinks? Did you tried to deactivate all 3rd party plugins?

2. Portfolio category pages looks always the same as primary portfolio page and its layout can be changed under Theme options > Blog, Portfolio & Shop > Portfolio section. Please make sure you set portfolio page exactly the same way as it was explained in the doc http://themes.muffingroup.com/betheme/documentation/#portfolio

3. The other way we have is Appearance > Menus section where you can set links in menus for example to specific categories only.
  • 1. Yes, I have deactivated all 3rd party plugins but the issue persists. I updated the single project permalink slug to "resources" and the category permalink slug to "category in the Theme Options. These category pages still aren't loading however and I am still getting a 404 error.

2. Great. I'm glad that I seem to have set that up correctly.

3. Thank you. I am already using Appearance > Menus to set links to specific categories. However, these category landing pages are still giving me a 404 error.
  • 1. Please change resources slug to resources1 and category to category1, go to Settings > Permalinks, click Save Changes and check if this helps.

3. Please change permalinks as we asked above because the problem must be related with wrong permalinks. You must have such pages or links like resources or category already and that's why above permalinks does not work.
  • edited February 2017
    Ah ha, that works a lot better! Thank you.

Another question: how would I make the category filter labels all the same height? As you can see in this example (http://www.logicsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/BeTheme-portfolio-filter2.jpg), I have a couple of categories with longer names that are breaking into two lines. I would like all of the category labels to be the same height so that it looks consistent.

Thank you!
  • Sorry but this is not possible because category filters always fit to the label size.
  • Okay, thank you.