Looking to upgrade from version 5.9 to 15

Do I install the new version 15 like it is a completely new theme and have two BeTheme versions available or do I overwrite the existing version via FTP?

If I do end up with two different versions, can I then remove the original one? Will I need to reinstall any widgets/plugins and reassociate content?

Are there any other considerations I should be aware of?

Comments

• Hi,

Please make a backup of your website before you make any updates. 
    Try using this plugin HERE

Do the update using WordPress dashboard. it should go quite easily. Thre may be some minor changes. After that update all plugins.

Thanks
  • Unlike the other themes available, there is no "update" option available that I can find. Is there some custom method I should be using?
  • Thanks, I do know how to add a new theme, which is what you have pointed me to. Using the word "update" implies you make changes to the current installation, such as the case of other themes and plugins. You shouldn't use that terminology as it isn't accurate. What I wanted to know originally was whether I would end up with 2 separate installations and have to select the second one or whether I could somehow replace the first one with the new one.
  • As I mentioned before make a backup of your website. If you did not make any changes to your files directly there should be no issues. Just

All the setting are in the database not in the theme files directly so changing your theme will just load the data from the database

thanks and sorry for the missunderstaing.
  • It looks like I may need to uninstall the original theme version prior to installing the newer version. My concern of course is that this would uninstall or disconnect everything and I will have to rebuild it. I tried leaving the current version in place and installing the new one but the result was the following...

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

Destination folder already exists. /home/<...>/<...>.com/wp-content/themes/betheme/

Theme install failed.

• This message says that you have betheme folder on your FTP already and if you want to install the new version instead, or you need to remove this folder completely from FTP and upload betheme.zip package via WP dashboard or just unpack theme files and upload them directly via FTP.