How to choose image sizes

Hello at Muffin.

I am using Muffinbuilder a lot, after doing a lot in visual composer and noticed one very important thing about images: How can I choose the different image sizes.

For example I noticed that if I use the Our Team content element that when I add an image, it is always using the full size. In fact it seems like BeTheme is using the full size image everywhere. This is of course crazy and leads to terrible google page speed ranking and huge page sizes.

Shouldn't Our Team for example use the thumbnail size when using the circle style or at least a medium sized version?

How can we choose which image size version to use when selecting an image?

Best, Armin.

Comments

• Hello Armin,
    yes some of our items use the full size of the image, but to remedy this, please just upload a small image. The default wordpress image source set is not a good idea when it comes to these items. This was a feature in the past but we decided to change it since many people had problems with getting the right dimensions on their images.
  • Hi at Muffin,

Sorry for the late reply. I am aware that this is somewhat of a general Wordpress issue, but the solution of "just upload small images" is ridicolous. While I as a developer/designer might be aware of the proper sizing, my clients definitely wont be. They just upload an image and use it, no matter where it goes.

I am already using a plugin called Imsanity, which downsizes large uploads to a maximum size, so at least when somebody is uploading 12Mpix images from their camera directly they get downsized. But I still dont think thats very good, seeing as 90% of the size of a website is images.

For anything other than maybe some background images, using the full size upload is just insane! You can create custom images sizes in functions.php and use those. You can create an XXL size that is really large and use it in most cases, but using the full size image? You are just asking for trouble and people wondering why their websites are so slow.

Dont get me wrong, I really love BeTheme, and I use it to build a few client websites (bought like 4 licenses so far). But I feel a certain disregard for really going that extra last mile. You keep adding new website templates, but I would like to see some more features that actually benefit the user and developer of the website.

Proper image handling is one of those! Especially since changing which image sizes are loaded means a lot of editing of files into a child theme and quite frankly it should be a goal to make a theme that is not only pretty, but also optimized with clever features.

I think for the coming projects I will have to look at another theme as my go-to for all future client sites.

Best, Armin.
  • Hi,
    you have been asnwered in the private message via email. Please do not duplicate this issue.
    thanks