theme-shortcodes.php doesn't work in betheme-child

Hi,

I have two questions about betheme-child:

1.)
I wanted to change a part in theme-shortcodes.php. I use the child theme, so I added a folder named "functions" and copied the original theme-shortcodes.php into that folder. Then I edited the file but the changes didn't change anything. The edited theme-shortcodes.php must stay in the parent theme's "functions" folder to take effect.

2)
I copied the original functions.php. to betheme-child and added some woocommerce functions. The result was a blank page. After deleting the original functions.php in the parent theme it works.

....but then a child theme is useless.

Where is the (or my) mistake?

Comments

• Hi,

at 1st please update theme to latest version (6.3) because we did some fixes for child theme :) And 2nd, please take a look at http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes because now everything should work exactly the same way.

Hope this will help you a lot.
  • Thanks, the problem with the functions.php is solved with the 6.3 update. But the /functions/theme-shortcodes.php is still totally ignored.

I studied http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes:

"If you want to change more than just the stylesheet, your child theme
    can override any file in the parent theme: simply include a file of the
    same name in the child theme directory, and it will override the
    equivalent file in the parent theme directory when your site loads."

But it does not. I couldn't find the mistake. The modified /functions/theme-shortcodes.php only works in the parent theme. :-/
  • Hi,

please try this:

Copy the betheme/functions/theme-shortcodes.php to betheme-child/functions. Then edit a shortcut a bit and see what happens. I bet the change will be ignored.

The funny thing is, that I edited lots of the files in the woocommerce folder and it works like expected.

• When you use child theme, all changes must be done in functions.php file. If you want to use the same file as we do (theme-shortcodes.php) you must use require_once() function in functions.php to include this file.

functions.php file should look like below:
    <?php

/* ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     * White Label
     * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- */
    define( 'WHITE_LABEL', false );

* Enqueue Style
     * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- */
    add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'enqueue_parent_theme_style', 101 );
    function enqueue_parent_theme_style() {
        wp_enqueue_style( 'mfn-parent-style', get_template_directory_uri() .'/style.css' );
        wp_enqueue_style( 'mfn-child-style', get_stylesheet_directory_uri() .'/style.css' );
    }

* Shortcodes
        function sc_alert( $attr, $content = null )
        {
            extract(shortcode_atts(array(
                'style'        => 'warning',
            ), $attr));

switch( $style ){
                case 'error':
                    $icon = 'icon-alert';
                    break;
                case 'info':
                    $icon = 'icon-help';
                    break;
                case 'success':
                    $icon = 'icon-check';
                    break;
                default:
                    $icon = 'icon-lamp';
                    break;
            }

//         $output  = '<div class="alert alert_'. $style .'">';
    //             $output  .= '<div class="alert_icon">';
    //                 $output .= '<i class="'. $icon .'"></i>';
    //             $output .= '</div>';
    //             $output .= '<div class="alert_wrapper">';
    //                 $output .= do_shortcode( $content );
    //             $output .= '</div>';
    //             $output .= '<a href="#" class="close"><i class="icon-cancel"></i></a>';
    //         $output .= '</div>'."\n";

$output  = 'MY ALERT CODE';

return $output;
        }

?>
  • Thank you, now it works! =D>
    Have a great day!
  • We're very happy to hear that this works now :) You're welcome!
  • Hi, I have the same problem, but your solution seems not working.
    If I insert a require_once('functions/theme-shortcodes.php') or even require_once( LIBS_DIR .'/theme-shortcodes.php' ) in my betheme-child/functions.php, my website stop working (I think it's due to duplicated functions declaration in PHP).

Where I'm wrong?

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance
  • @bmarini Please check https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes because for sure you did something wrong while creating child theme.
  • Hi, my child seems to be ok.
    When I try to include the theme-shortcodes.php in my functions.php, the PHP error shown is:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mfn_opts_get() in [mypath]/wp-content/themes/betheme-child/functions/theme-shortcodes.php on line 4417
  • @bmarini You can only include functions from this file. You can't include whole file.