Page Speeds

edited March 2015 in Theme support
I have been trying to decrease page load times for several weeks now. I believe I have done all of the things you have recommended. I have spent lots of money on CDN and Smush Pro and new hosting. I have changed settings a million times and still my site is slow. Can you make any recommendations? My site is americanyogaschool.com. The pages that get the most traffic are americanyogaschool.com/calendar, americanyogaschool.com/yogaposer, and americanyogaschool.com/yoga-alliance-ruining-yoga/ . And they are all very slow. More than half of my traffic enters on that last page and I lose a huge number of them before the page loads. Any help would be appreciated.

I know that a Wordpress site with a theme and lots of plugins can't be super fast, but it has to be as fast as possible or I get no money!

Comments

• Hi,

unfortunately we can't open your website because there is something wrong with your hosting. It's still loading and loading (for 15 minutes) and nothing. We tested this on few different computers in different locations with the same result what means the problem is on server side. However if you read everything what was already described on http://forum.muffingroup.com/betheme/discussion/1708/website-performance/p1 then we do not have anything else to add. All we recommend is W3 Total Cache, CDN service, static css and of course very good server what is the most important.

Thanks!
  • edited April 2015
    HI, I am not sure why you weren't able to see my site. Can you look again? It is http://americanyogaschool.com

My speed isn't that bad now, actually. But I would still appreciate if you have any ideas how to make it better. 

Thank you.
  • Ok, now it works but yesterday wasn't. As we see, you can improve page speed within static css only as we mentioned above because as we see this is the only thing you forgot about.
  • I did attempt to shift to static css a number of times before and after I initiated this thread. When I have followed your instructions as I understand them, my site loses all css for fonts and most css for colors. 

Perhaps you can explain the process with more clarity. When you say to copy from the stye.php file and the style-colors.php file, you say to do it in your browser. Are you instructing to copy via FTP or from the be theme options panel (Dashboard>Appearance>Editor)? I have tried it both ways. They seem to be exactly the same code, but doing it either way yields the same loss of styling.

Then, when pasting into the style-static.css file, am I to place it after the pre-existing code or am I to paste over and replace that pre-existing code? I tried that both ways and got the same results. 

If I am already doing this correctly, perhaps this solution doesn't work in all cases. If I am doing it incorrectly, perhaps you can advise me, keeping in mind that your theme is marketed as something that non-coders can do. 
  • When we say in browser we mean that you should open links to those files under browser. Those are dynamic styles so if you will copy content from FTP you will copy php code into css files. Don't you think this is meaningless? But when you open those files in browser, php is parsed by server and you get css code. This is what we mean when we say, files must be opened in browser.
  • edited April 2015
    I still don't know what you mean when you say to open the files in browser. I have been using my browser when trying the methods I already explained. Do you mean that I am to download them to my computer, then open the files from my computer in a browser?
  • We meant that you must copy link to .css file we mentioned above and open link under browser to see the result.