Double Title

Hi,

After install SEO by Yoast, the page titles show in double.

This is a well known issue, and the main problem is on the header.php. See here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/seo-yoast-plugin-double-site-title-appearing-twice

Yoast suggest the following fix:

So, you should review your Title code on header.php so it works with one of the most used WP Plugin.

I don't want to change Theme files because of updates. So, please tell what can I do to fix this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Hi,

titles for Yoast works properly. If they are double, it means you forgot to turn off built-in seo fields or you have also title under Settings > General section.
  • edited June 2015
    No, it doesn't work properly. I've entered title in Yoast SEO, turned off built-in SEO fields and titles under Settings > General. However, when deleting title in Settings > General the title doesn't appear.

I've also written a private message in the contact form on Envata Market, but you haven't replied.
  • If we did not replied, it means you sent it to wrong person or you used wrong form. Please send us access to your dashboard via contact form which is in the right bottom corner at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup and we'll show you that's it's your issue.
  • hoffland is right, the problem is still there
  • @manuel_84 Are you sure? Because as we remember, Hoffland sorted it out and wrote that the mistake was on Yoast plugin side. We bet that the same is in your case.
  • edited July 2015
    i don't know if the mistake is related to yoast only or betheme incompatibility.
    but with othere themes the plugin doesn't have this behavior.
    to solve my issue i had to remove %%sitename%% from title and metadata options of the plugin
  • @manuel_84 Site name is the title which can be set under Settings > General section. Some users need it so if you don't need this, you should remove this tag from Yoast.
  • edited July 2015
    i already tried this, removing it makes the title to disappear even if %%sitename%% is present in yoast cfg
    i'm sure i tried every possible combination of cfg. the only solution was what i said before
  • @manuel_84 Did you deactivated built-in seo fields as well? If you did it as well then it's very weird because we did it exactly the same on our side and site name do not appear.
  • edited July 2015
    yes i did... as a developer i tried everything before making edits on the theme/plugin code
    maybe i'll check this problem again later and let you know further details
  • I'm suffering the same issue, and it's an incompatibility with betheme and yoast seo.

The easy way to solve this problem is activate the "force rewriting titles" option in the plugin, but this add an extra delay in the load of the page.

The deletion of the sitename in the configuration of wordpress isn't an ideal solution becasue some other plugins take this as reference for other purposes.

The reason of the error:

Betheme has this line in the title tag:

wp_title( '|', true, 'right' ); bloginfo( 'name' );

Yoast plugin rewrites only the wp_title part (example: My Page - Domain.com), this combined with the adjacent bloginfo( 'name' ); make a duplciated sitename with the default configuration of the plugin. (Result: MyPage - Domain.comDomain.com)

The ideal solution will be that betheme changes the mentioned code in order to delete the  "bloginfo" part in the header or  make an option to disable this part of code in the muffin panel, in order to preserve the changes across the updates.
  • same problem here.
    Please help
  • @wh28 We can not remove the part responsible for title unfortunately because some people are using it. So if you don't want duplicate title, please remove site name under Settings > General section because right now you have title that comes with built-in seo fields and site name.
  • edited September 2015
    This problem is bugging me for a while now as well. I haven't found a structural approach to this problem. You can't blame the theme, neither can you blame Yoast (or other SEO plugins that suffer from this issue). Removing Site name under Settings > General is not an option because Yoast uses this field to generate the titles.

What solved it for me is commenting the line: bloginfo( 'name' ); in header.php. No other code changes necessary. 

The solution that @Damianetienne offers would be a good structural approach. Making it a 'switch' in Muffin Options. Preferably under the SEO tab. This way the fix is update-proof while keeping the bloginfo value available in case you're not using a SEO plugin like Yoast.

My 2 cents...

• I am not a developer so would rather not touch any coding.

What is the best way for me to fix this issue and still be able to use Yoast properly?

Thanks

• @ells2812 We use Yoast without touching any code and all works fine. We do not have any duplicated titles. If you got, it means that you set something wrong.
  • Ok thanks @muffingroup, I'll try and hunt out what it may be.....

If you have any ideas of where I should be looking that would be great?

Thanks

• @ells2812 Make sure that our built-in seo fields are OFF if you use Yoast and also check Settings > General section because there is page title as well.
  • If you deactivate built-in seo fields. After that, activate Yoast. Then you go to settings > general, edit the website title to the same title, hit save, and the double title is gone!

Greets!
  • Thanks. Will give it a go.
  • Well, I also have the same problem. I tried the @mijnmarketing tip, it didn't work for me.

Of course, I've disabled the SEO fields, Yoast is configured properly and no, I can't remove the the blog name in settings because Yoast base the title generation on this information. It's not working properly, because, you don't follow the "good practices", at least from the Yoast point of view : 
    http://kb.yoast.com/article/76-the-seo-title-output-for-the-plugin-doesnt-work-as-expected

As @RossBasco already point it, there should be no "bloginfo( 'name' );" in the header.php 

Could you please provide some real help, or better, a fix ?
  • @benedicepaillard This has been sorted in recent version (12.6) so we suggest to update theme to latest version.
  • Good to heard, thanks for the fix !
  • I'm still getting double site titles in 12.6 w/ Yoast
  • @plokkum Did you turned off built-in SEO fields under Theme options > SEO section? Also, did you removed site title under Settings > Reading section? BTW The recent version is 12.7
  • i see no fixes i have a "line" word added when displaying blog posts
  • @emimedia ;

Hey,

please be so kind and send us WordPress dashboard access privately thru contact form which is on the right side at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup#contact and we will check what might be the reason. Please don’t forget to let us know what for the access is.
    Also send us a screenshot where this problem is occuring.