Installing demo site without resetting WP database issues

I'm having problems installing the Mechanic demo site. 

The theme has been loaded onto a staged copy of my site with the intent of keeping the content but on a new theme. 

When I select the demo site for install the pop-up confirms that Revolution Slider and Contact Form 7 plugins are installed so I click install, I'm then presented with a description of how to reset the database and an option to install the WordPress Database Reset plugin. I've been ignoring this and clicking next as I don't want to lose the current content. However, perhaps this is my problem as when try to finalise the install it's not working. 

Do I have to reset the database to be able to install a demo site? If so will I lose all my content by doing so, and if the answer to that is yes is there a way to then restore my content? 

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hello,
    you do not have to reset the database but if the page name is the same as the imported one then it will overwrite the existing content on that page. Also the widgets will be lost and the menu items will get added.

So if you have a page "about" and your importing a demo with a page named "about" then it will remove the older content on that page and replace it with the new content.
    thanks
  • Thanks, very strange because it wouldn't load yesterday but I just tried again and the process ran smoothly. I have the demo installed so I guess previously just a technical glitch.