How update to the new version of Be|theme?

edited May 2014 in Updates & Changelog
Remember to always make backup of your files and database. 

At first you need to download the new package from Themeforest. You can do it in your Themeforest user panel > Downloads. There is always the latest version.

1. If you didn`t made any changes in theme files, you should to overwrite the old files on your FTP by the new one which you can find in unzipped download package.

You can do it by using Total Commander or FileZilla. Or you can do it in your WordPress admin panel. To do it please go to Appearance > Themes, activate another theme, delete the Be|theme, then upload the new version in the same way as you installed a new theme.

2. If you changed theme files and you don`t want to lose them, the best way will be to use one of free available tools for compare files, ex. Beyond Compare

Comments

• Thank for fixing this!  :)
  • What are the plans to have BeTheme integrated with the update infrastructure of WordPress? Thanks for the info!
    -wim
  • @wimvanleuven Can you give us more info about what you mean? So far we included Envato WordPress Toolkit plugin and theme can be updated automatically this way only.
  • sorry. I thought it was only possible to update the theme by deleting/install or via FTP (I'm still running theme 3.x something). Will install the Envato WP toolkit plugin first!

Thanks!
    -wim
  • Hi
    I have made some changes to the theme.
    Can you give me a step by step guide on how to implement the new update.
    ==
    The advise below needs to be expanded:
    "If you changed theme files and you don`t want to lose them, the best way will be to use one of free available tools for compare files,"
    ==
    A step by step guide for doing this will be helpful for all purchasers of the theme.
    Many thanks
    does not say what to do next
  • @BrightSky Sorry but we don`t understand what you mean because above you have whole explanation. If you want steps in point, then we present them below:

1 step: open software to manage files via FTP (ex. Total Commander or FileZilla)

2 step: connect with theme on FTP

3 step: unpack files from betheme.zip file on your computer and copy all files from /betheme/ folder on FTP and overwrite current theme files with the new one.

Above 3 steps is all you need to do to update theme but if this won`t be clear, then we have no idea how it can be explained easier way.

Thanks for understanding!
  • Very clear thank you
  • thanks, this is what i end up with

• @robelings Looks like you did something wrong. Maybe files has not been updated properly.
  • I'm trying to install your last update and this is what I get:

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

Destination folder already exists. /home4/argot/public_html/wp-content/themes/betheme/

Theme install failed

Help!

Thanks

• @martavizcarro And you have right info. Folder already exist so you can`t install theme again in the same folder. If you want to update theme files, you should use FTP as it was described above.
  • Hello,

I'm wondering why we have to upload whole theme files. Why don't you just give us the updated portion only to be uploaded.

Cheers
  • @singcat Because sometimes one file can be not compatible with another and something wrong may happen. That`s why we recommend to update all files. Of course in "Updates & Changelog" section on TF you have info what files has been modified and you can try to update those files only because we can`t guarantee this will always work properly.
  • Understandable ....

Thanks
  • edited November 2014
    yes but if you can left just updated files its can be amazing also
  • Regarding auto updating you mention that we need Envato Wordpress Toolkit Plugin for it to work while another user suggested incorporating the theme to Wordpress autoupdate mechanism. There is no Wordpress mechanism for updating Themeforest themes (just the Wordpress Org themes).

I have another theme and it can autoupdate straight from the Wordpress Dashboard without the Envato plugin and no ftp  either so there is a way I guess but I don't think there is a difference. 

My guess is that they have integrated the Envato Toolkit within the Theme since the only source for updates is them. In any case if you do not want another plugin running then then the ftp route is an easy and clean option but might seem "hard" for some clients.

• @JargonGR We tested what you mentioned in the past (auto update was related with our servers of course what is necessary) but it does not work well. For may users connection between different servers does not work well and we decided to do not use this solution anymore. So the only auto update we recommend is Envato toolkit.
  • So to be clear, if I go into the BeTheme Options panel and customize my theme, all of that will be lost if I update to the new BeTheme version? I need to go back and redo those Options?

Thank you.
  • @dougklein. No, you're not right. Will be lost only changes and modifications inside files. Nothing else.
  • Excellent. Thank you.
  • Hi,

first update got installed automatically via Envato toolkit without problems. But now Envato Toolkit says under the tab "Theme":
    Betheme has not been installed. View version 5.6 details or install automatically.

Is that right? Does he mean "The newest version of Betheme has not been installed"? Should I "install automatically?

Thank you!
  • @Bender1012 We have no idea if this has been installed or not because we do not use those kind of tools as shit happens sometimes. We prefer to update everything manually via FTP. But if you will send url to your website, then we'll be able to tell you what version you have.
  • "Or you can do it in your WordPress admin panel. To do it please go to Appearance > Themes, activate another theme, delete the Be|theme, then upload the new version in the same way as you installed a new theme."

Some basic questions on this:

1. Should I use Evanto Toolkit in this case?
    2. Would there be any changes to the Child Theme? Or should I replace the parent theme only? I am using the child theme for my customisations.

Thank you.
  • 1. This is relative question :) It depends on you. At first please read in the web how this tool works like and if you really need it. In our opinion it is unnecessary. We prefer standard ways to update themes. We do it manually via FTP. Maybe sometimes we are old-fashioned but in our opinion this is the safest way to update.

2. It is enough if you update only parent theme.
  • HI,

I know that I did not install the last two updates. the link is www.rheinkult-service.de

I don't understand as you wrote a few answers above: "So the only auto update we recommend is Envato toolkit."....

So you can't recommend this? Than I rather update manually, too....
  • @Bender1012 Exactly. We recommend manual updates instead of auto updates via Envato Toolkit.
  • hey
    can i just upload files in your list of change log files after you are update theme ?

• @rahimimorad_gmail You can try to do it but we recommend to update all files as it is more safe then just upload only few files. We can't be responsible for theme when you will upload only some files instead of all.
  • So let me just get this right, to make sure I don't mess anything up. I've used your Black&White theme and made a bunch of custom things out of it (www.dresstive.com). Yesterday I was informed that you have new updates, and I've downloaded them. I don't think I've changed the name of any of your files - I uploaded your theme to my site right after I got it, and I guess what you mean by changing names of files you mean in the zip folder?

Anyway, to my actual question. If I want to update now, how do I do it step for step, and will everything I have now still be there after? I apologize if this is a repetitive question, but I did not quite understand your guide, I am confused where to upload the new files and how + how to bring the old site with me.
  • @muffingroup

i do it and well . everything is ok and thank you very much

Be happy and be peaceful :)