Child theme and functions file

Hi there,

I have two questions:

1 - I have just started learning about the child theme. Till now, I had simply ignored it - I know, silly move. I see that the betheme alreayd comes with a child theme. Should I instal that and be working from there? If I have already made changes to the css or php files of the main betheme, should I make my own child theme from what I already have?

2 - Everytime I make changes to the functions.php file my entire site crashes. I am getting the code from professionals so I can't imagine its the code, I'll assume its something I'm doing wrong.

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Comments

• Hi Rebecca,

If you made changes directly to your theme files, install a child theme and copy those files to the child theme (with the same directory path). This way those file will not get overwritten when the theme updates. All of the theme options and content will be the same when you will start using the child theme, it's because these settings are held in the database (which is the same for both hte child theme and the parent theme). The only thing that you will need to do is apply the widgets to the sidebars again, since wordpress will remove them. Ofcourse you need to activate and work on the child theme. Update only the parent theme.

Send me a screenshoot of the code in the functions.php that you are pasting. There could be many things that will go wrong. In the screenshoot show the custom code and some of the exisiitng code.

thanks