Changing Template in Child Theme

Hey, 

I wanted to make changes in the template-portfolio.php file so I tried to copy it to my betheme-child theme and edited it there, but unfortunately its not working - its just not reflecting my changes.

Whats the correct way to edit the template-portfolio.php - file?

Comments

• Hi,
    Please edit the functions.php file in the child theme and scroll to the bottom where you will find a commented section regarding your issue. Basically you need to include this file in the functions.php.
  • Thanks for the fast response!

Did you mean "Override theme functions"? I have already tried that before here, so I added my file (which is directly in betheme-child folder) like this (and tried some other ways too):

require_once( get_stylesheet_directory() .'/template-portfolio.php' );

But then I am getting a blank page without any errors showing. Can you give me an example how to include that specific file? Thanks in advance!
  • Hi,
    If you copy a new template-portfolio.php to your child theme, will it work then? Or it does not work after changes.
    About the function.php i was misstaken, you do not need to do that with normal wordpress files.

• Hi, 
    No that was what I have done first. I copied the template-portfolio.php file from the original betheme into my child-theme and did my changes there, but they were not reflected on the site. Caching was also off while trying this...I am a bit clueless here, because normaly it should work like that with those template files...
  • Maybe there is cache on your serwer? No just a plugin in wordpress?
    This is very unusuall because it is suppodes to be working.
    You have both betheme and child installed and child theme activated?