Migrating from localhost to server

I'm building a site based on BeTheme for a client and running into a problem when migrating from localhost to live server. I used the WP Migrate DB plugin to do a serialized search and replace in the database to replace localhost URLs with live URLs, but none of the URLS on items added with Muffin Builder changed. I just found out that you also have a migration plugin (it would have been nice to mention this in the documentation).

Here's my question. Do I need to use both migration plugins? WP Migrate DB to replace all the 'normal' URLs and your migration plugin to replace URLs within the builder elements? Or does your plugin handle both? Also, does your plugin handle serialized data?

Thanks!

Comments

• Yes, you need to use both - WP Migrate DB and Mfn CB Migrate tool as well. This second plugin is related with content based on Muffin Builder and of course all data are serialized. Without that muffin builder won`t work properly.

Thanks for understanding!
  • If I use find/replace url in database, it happens that in lose data in muffin builder.

So, should I use solution mentioned above?
  • @Digital_ship Yes,exactly. Use solution above because content from muffin builder is encoded in database.
  • edited September 2014
    Critical!
    You really must
    put a Migration tutorial in the documentation!
  • @timothyvass We`ll think about it but each user is different and uses different ways to migrate website. That`s why it could be hard to show how to do it because later one user won`t have access to phpMyAdmin and other won`t have access to something else what is only related with his hosting provider.
  • You can atleast put information about the migration tools in the documentation

The only mention I have found of them was when searching for a long time and finding them in these posts on the forum here...

It's impossible to find from Google because your comments are hidden...

So it's kind of frustrating you know?

It's critical information, if it's needed to migrate, it has to be in the documentation the kind of steps critical to success right? Not in some hidden comment in your help forum...
  • @timothyvass Of course we understand and we`ll think about it. Thanks for suggestion!
  • I second the above comments from users, this is essential, you do not explain this in your docs you should at least include a migration section because only you know whats required and most users are unaware of wp api serialising the option data.

Please consider updating your docs, can you explain how i could move install from sub domain to root  ensuring muffin options continue to work.  would this work to avoid link and serialise path issues.
    • Use the muffin options to import/export configurations
    • Create a new install on root
    • install the betheme there 
    • use the import function to replicate the settings again?
    if not please advise the best way to move, i appreciate you have mentioned 2 tools above but not mentioned the process

thanks

• @dasser We did not described it because this is standard process, the same for all wordpress's and more information about this you can read on https://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress so in our opinion it is unnecessary to duplicate something what has been already explained. There is only one exception that we mentioned above - MFN CB Migration tool. This tool should be used at the end. That's it!
  • I used the MFN CB Migration tool (and changed site name and URL via phpmyadmin) and there are still image paths that haven't been updated even when I re-attach the image to the page. 

1) The background image is one of these images that still has the local server path (settings in Betheme options).

2) The relative paths in my custom (child) style sheets are also appending to the local server URL on the production server.

Where else is this information being stored?

Thank you.
  • @susanad_123 Those details are stored in database probably but we have no idea why they did not changed. We use above tools many times and all these paths always changes so we really don't know what happened on your side.
  • I'm still troubleshooting the relative links in the style sheet, but I also noticed that your search and replace tool does not work on text widget content, which apparently is serialized as well.

Any suggestions for a search and replace tool for that? Or is manually updating the text in the the admin panel the only way?
  • Which widget content you mean? Because as far as we know, widgets belong to wordpress itself.
  • Hi, pls i can't find 'MFN CB Migration' from the wordpress plugin repository. Has the name changed or how do i go about solving the issue of some of the images not showing. I have used WP Migrate DB which has fixed some of the images. A quick help will be appreciated as the site is presently live. Thanks
  • oops! I have gotten it. No worries. Thanks
  • Why not use Duplicator Plugin? Super easy and 98% of your website's links will update properly. It is the most popular wordpress migration plugin out there with tons of information on how to use it (written and on Youtube). When I searched for a migration plugin, this was the first one I stumbled upon. I never even looked if there was anything else out there :)
  • edited February 2018
    I must say it took me couple of days to figure out how to migrate your theme. I wish there was an easier way to migrate. Happy to have stumbled upon this page and downloaded the plugin, which made it finally work. This was one hell of a headache!!!!
  • @MuffinGroup, Could you Answer Gredesi question? Is that possible with Duplicator plugin?
  • kamtard
    But gredesi never asked a question, he only said that the duplicator plugin is best for him.
    We also suggest using this plugin to move the websites.
    thanks