Updating BeTheme & Wordpress

edited April 2019 in Theme support
Hello,

So here is what I did specifically: I added a Wordpress Website to my Hosting, I installed BeTheme into my new site and I loaded one of the "pre-made website designs". From there I changed the Theme Settings and added my own CSS so as to make the site look entirely different than the pre-made site. 

Now I have a message that I can update BeTheme. For security reasons, I would love to update Wordpress and BeTheme and whatever Plug-Ins I am using immediately due to added security and functionality, etc. 

However the Theme states this warning: 

"The following themes have new versions available. Check the ones you want to update and then click “Update Themes”.

Please Note: Any customizations you have made to theme files will be lost. Please consider using child themes for modifications." 

Now, I would very much assume that EVERYONE would want to be on a child theme... so I kind of mistakenly thought that these pre-made websites were all built to update.... but now I am starting to think that I am mistaken.

Am I or am I not on some updatable system? And if I am not, how can I create a Child Theme out of the BeTheme - and preferably migrate all of my current settings??? Also, this should really be a standard set-up thing for those who want to be on a child theme. 

Unless I am thinking wrongly about this.... do I need to be on a Child Theme?

Thank you very much for explaining this to me.

Sincerely, 

April

Also, is it safe to update Wordpress? Because I have heard that you have difficulties with that as well if you are not on a child theme. 

Comments

• Hi,
    It's always good idea to have the WordPress and BeTheme always up to date - it will make your website safer.

If you made changes in Theme Options or you've added the CSS in the Theme Options > Custom CSS & JS > CSS, then you don't have to use the Child Theme.

Child Theme is required, when you did some changes in the theme files, I mean, you edited it with some IDE, removed or added new code into our files.
    In all other cases, a Child Theme is not required.

Thanks
  • Hi Pablo, that sounds pretty good for starters.

There is the option to customize the page and to edit the page. Through the customize option, I have added my own CSS. I also have some code in the Theme Options - for example in the Footer section. I am in general concerned that when I update the theme all of my Theme Options will be lost - is that true? There is a multitude of options there including some very specific things like fonts, etc. that took forever to set up. Please tell me that I do not need to redo all of that every time there is a theme update...? (I especially do not want to lose my custom CSS though, that would be horrible.)

As far as the files go, I have not yet edited them, but I am guessing that in the future I might want to (security or optimization changes). In such a case, how can I best go about creating a child theme from BeTheme and keeping the current appearance of my website the same? I am mostly confused about the "Pre-Made Websites" as they are almost a theme within a theme so I don't understand how they behave in a child setting. 

- Do I really need to recreate every page, add my css back and redo all of the theme settings if I create and install a child theme? 

Thanks!
    April 
  • Also I just found this: http://childthemegenerator.com/betheme-child-theme-free-download/ - I assume that is what I am after?

Could it be, that I just need to install the child theme and that it will reference all of my settings in the "parent", allowing me only to change the hardcode safely? That would indeed be ideal. 

(Still confused about the settings while updating the parent theme- hoping they won't go poof!)

Thanks, 
    April 
  • No, you don't have to install the Child Theme if you changed the Theme Options, addedd CSS or changed fonts.

All of the settings are stored in the database, so you won't lose anything of these settings.
    Update is replacing the files which are stored on your hosting, not database.
    Also, your pages will not be deleted too.

So, do not be worry about it, update your theme without the Child Theme.
    But, if you still want to use it, then it comes with the package downloaded from the ThemeForest.
    Thanks