Website from Scratch Tutorial Video

I really appreciate Albert and Peter for putting together this tutorial on YouTube, especially as I may have been the one to "encourage" Albert to do one like this :-) If it's okay, I will post observations and problems I encounter here.

Comments

• I have been following along, and when I get to about the 3:05 point in the video (setting General Global theme options), nothing gets displayed (no submenu under General at all). Same for all the other items under Theme Options, i.e. nothing shows up in the right hand pane. In a macOS terminal, I did a "tail -f error.log" (I think this is PHP's error log; I'm using a local installation of localwp, i.e. Local by Flywheel, and the file is ~/Local Sites/befromscratch/logs/php/error.log). I get the following output as soon as I click the Theme Options item under BeTheme in the Wordpress dashboard).

[22-Mar-2023 14:56:06 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Undefined constant "AUTH_KEY" in /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-content/themes/betheme/muffin-options/options.php:1185

Stack trace:

#0 /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(308): MFN_Options->_options_page_html('')

#1 /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(332): WP_Hook->apply_filters('', Array)

#2 /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-includes/plugin.php(517): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)

#3 /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-admin/admin.php(259): do_action('betheme_page_be...')

#4 {main}

thrown in /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-content/themes/betheme/muffin-options/options.php on line 1185

[22-Mar-2023 14:56:07 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Undefined constant "AUTH_KEY" in /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-content/themes/betheme/muffin-options/options.php:1185

Stack trace:

#0 /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(308): MFN_Options->_options_page_html('')

#1 /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(332): WP_Hook->apply_filters('', Array)

#2 /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-includes/plugin.php(517): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)

#3 /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-admin/admin.php(259): do_action('betheme_page_be...')

#4 {main}

thrown in /Users/gary/Local Sites/befromscratch/app/public/wp-content/themes/betheme/muffin-options/options.php on line 1185

• Hey,

Please send us the WordPress dashboard and FTP access privately thru the contact form, which is on the right side at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup#contact, and we will check what might be the reason.

Notice!

Please attach a link to this forum discussion.

Sending incorrect or incomplete data will result in a longer response time.

Therefore, please ensure that the data you send are complete and correct.

Thanks

• It's running on my laptop, so sharing a link is not practical. It probably has something to do with the versions of software running WordPress. I'm using localwp (from localwp.com). If I use a shared host on my Bluehost account, it doesn't have the problem (I discovered this after posting). I'll try another local dev environment like DevKinsta.

• If you work on localhost, I suggest using XAMPP for that.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to install WordPress on it, and when you proceed with it, you can install Betheme just like on the live website.

Thanks

• I've never had any trouble with localwp until this. I've found that it only occurs on PHP 8. if I use PHP 7.4.30, it works fine. I'll use that as a workaround in the meantime. For a variety of reasons, I like localwp.