Quality documentation for Muffin Builder? [WRAPS, SECTION]

edited November 2015 in BeBuilder
Hi, I'm having difficulty trying to build pages with Muffin Builder. The Be Theme documenation (http://themes.muffingroup.com/betheme/documentation) gives very little information on how to use Muffin Builder.

The documentation says concerning Muffin Builder -  "With his help web development is child's play." Am I missing something? I'm a reasonably intelligent 39-year old, and I haven't found anywhere that explains what the difference is between sections, wraps, dividers, items, or how/when to use them. 

I've spent a full hour trying to get a centered, non-repeating 1920px wide image to appear below my menu, and I can't get this done!?! Background image of a "wrap"? Nope...  Background image of an "item" inside that wrap? Nope... Why is this so hard?!?  Please show me where the proper documentation is so I can learn how to use Muffin Builder. I've checked Youtube, nothing usefull from Muffin Group there (at least for Muffin Builder 3.0).

- Cam (disappointed user so far).

Comments

• Hi,

there is unfortunately nothing about the new builder yet because we simply didn't found time to show new Muffin Builder tool. We'll try to explain what is the difference between the WRAPS, SECTIONS, DIVIDERS and ITEMS because this is what you do not understand probably.

So SECTION is the most important part of Muffin Builder. If you look at our main demo http://themes.muffingroup.com/betheme/, especially Why you'll love our theme? section you see the section. It is a part of page where you can set own background image, color, top & bottom margins, etc. All details about section item you can check on http://themes.muffingroup.com/betheme/documentation/#section

WRAP is a part of section. A lot of our customers were asking about the WRAPS because they want to have different items for example on left side and different on the right side. So basically, WRAP is a part of SECTION where you can put items. For example you want 3 different items on the right but only 2 items on the left side and that's what for WRAP items are.

ITEM is just item. This is what you can see on our demos. Some of people call them shortcodes. If you look at the same section we mentioned above, 100+ layouts, etc are items. All available items you can check on our main demo under Shortcodes section.

DIVIDER is just nothing else than going to the new line. It's kind of item that separate paragraphs.

Hope this explanation will help you a lot.

P.S. To be honest this is first time in our history that someone is telling us that don't understand what SECTIONS, WRAPS, ITEMS and DIVIDERS are. And yes, every day we get a lot of messages from our customers that playing with our Muffin Builder is child's play and it's much easier than any other builder.

• edited November 2015
    Ok, thanks for the explanation. I was curious about wraps, because it seems you just introduced them... 

So, how were items place in sections before wraps? Can you link me to some layouts where wraps are used to display content that couldn't previously be done? I need to understand what is possible with a wrap...

Items I understand, they are simply the basic content element. Sections make sense too (only because I've ran into that terminology with previous a previous builder I used).

Regarding your documentation, I would suggest to you that you as the developers are likely experiencing the downside of "proximity" to your product. You are so familiar with every part of it and how it works that you don't realize it's not as intuitive as you might think to a complete newcomer to the platform.

Furthermore, it's obvious that the documentation was not written by someone that is a native English speaker. I would offer the feedback that you might receive benefit from hiring an native English technical writer who is not at all familiar with your product (or perhaps even Wordpress) to review and tweak your documentation. It can be improved as some assumptions are made in regards to knowledge of Muffin Builder, Visual Composer, plugins, general Wordpress knowledge, etc, and would likely result in even happier customers and much less support questions for you to have to answer. :)

PS - the term is "made from scratch", not "scratches" haha! 

Thanks for your response again.
  • Yes, it's true, English is not our native language but the documentation has been checked and improved by our college who is English(UK) native speaker. Can you tell us where did you found the "scratches" label?

In accordance to documentation, it would be great if we would find someone for whom such things are not clear so he can describe them and explain in the documentation better. We can not be best writers because for us everything is clear and easy. If we would find such person, we would like to talk about the cooperation.

Anyway, the demos we made with new builder are http://themes.muffingroup.com/be/profile/ and http://themes.muffingroup.com/be/farmer/
  • "Can you tell us where did you found the "scratches" label?" - Just do a search in your documentation :)  

I'll check out the new demos you mentioned - thanks!
  • @texervice: their english may be not perfect, but as far as i can judge it, it is pretty good for non native speakers. English is also not my first language, but I mostly understand what the guys from muffingroup are trying to explain.
    And they are answering quickly in this forum and the optimizations on the theme over the time are amazing (btw: I don´t know how many people they are).

I admit, that the documentation is not complete (by far), there is room for optimization and i also wonder from time to time, why things are not described or even listed in the documentation.

I accept that, because i have the impression that they really know, what they are doing and that they care about us customers. This, and their fast reply times, makes it easy to accept, that this may be due to limited ressources and a long back-log.

And please don´t overemphasize their cheeky comments - they´re only human  ;)

Conclusio: I really appreciate their work and their products.
  • @hofergrafik Like you said, English is not our native language but documentation was written by English native speakers :) We are still learning English language but every day we get many positive feedback from English native speakers that our language becomes better.

BTW We are the team of 4 only.
  • only 4 persons !! great work !!