PHP Version Compatibility 5.6 thru 7

edited January 2017 in Theme support
Has anyone had any luck running BeTheme and RevSlider using PHP 7.x?

I just ran a scan on my website using a PHP Compatibility checker and the BeTheme seems to have failed the test with 1 error:

FILE: /public_html/wp-content/themes/betheme/muffin-options/validation/preg_replace/validation_preg_replace.php
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOUND 1 ERROR AFFECTING 1 LINE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 32 | ERROR | preg_replace() - /e modifier is deprecated since PHP 5.5 and removed since PHP 7.0

Then... Slider Revolution seems to have done the same but with 2 errors:

FILE: /public_html/wp-content/plugins/revslider/includes/slider.class.php
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 2345 | ERROR | 'clone' is a reserved keyword introduced in PHP version 5.0 and cannot be invoked as a function (T_CLONE)

FILE: /public_html/wp-content/plugins/revslider/includes/output.class.php
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 458 | ERROR | 'clone' is a reserved keyword introduced in PHP version 5.0 and cannot be invoked as a function (T_CLONE)

Comments

• Hi,

please send us WordPress dashboard and FTP access privately thru contact form which is on the right side at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup#contact so we can have a look on it. Please don’t forget to let us know what for the access is.
  • I actually haven't upgraded the PHP Version just yet, I wanted to get some feedback before I made any major changes even though I can revert at a later date I can't have the website down for some unexpected amount of time. I may setup a test server to run this on and verify. It also picked up a lot of issues with W3 Total Cache, although there seem to be a lot of "fixes" online for it and other plugins. I just know that PHP 7 runs about twice as fast with wordpress. Looking for any speed improvements for SEO reasons and my current server time running BeTheme on Siteground is almost 3 seconds. This is using a Cloudflare CDN + W3 Total Cache with Minification + HTTPS:// reverse proxy via Cloudflare. 

I can't seem to get anywhere near 90% Page Speed results. Static CSS included.
  • We've been testing our theme on test environment with PHP7 and we didn't noticed anything wrong but as you know, lot's of other server settings may have an impact on it. That's why, it would be great if you can create such environment with PHP7 just for tests. To be honest, we did not tested W3 Total Cache plugin with PHP7 but as you probably now, compatibility between PHP7 and W3 Total Cache has nothing to do with the theme itself.
  • edited January 2017
    I just got this from my PHP Compatibility Checker and a "possibly not compatible" message. This time without using RevSlider. They indicate at this time W3TC is Unknown because it's "too large to scan" but yes I've read plenty of articles about the configuration, fixes, bugs, etc so I'm not too worried about it. However last time and this time BeTheme threw a single error.

Wordpress is also now advertising that they recommend PHP 7.0 as a minimum requirement on wordpress.org. And PHP 5.4 is at eol. It is my belief that if every wordpress site upgraded from PHP 5.6 to 7.x the web would be a lot faster all of the sudden forcing developers of popular plugins to start making changes. Hah.

BeTheme only threw 1 error as before, but it doesn't seem very important. 

What is this validation script for in the BeTheme Options?

wp-content/themes/betheme/muffin-options/validation/preg_replace/validation_preg_replace.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     32 | ERROR | preg_replace() - /e modifier is deprecated since PHP 5.5 and removed since PHP 7.0

Note: The reason I mentioned RevSlider in the original post is because its bundled with your theme, so in order to truly market full compatibility with PHP 7.0 you would need to ensure all of your bundled plugins included in most of your demo's are compatible as well.
  • The problem is related with compatibility checker because it has a problem with checking "e" modifier and it has completely nothing to do with the theme itself. You can check the following topics where this was already explained:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/php-7-compatibility-84/
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/php-compatibility-2/

Theme was tested with PHP 7.0 and 7.1 and everything is fine. But there is one important thing - you need to have minimum BeTheme 16 version installed.