Creating child theme and updating

Hi,
I would like to get our site updated, and from what I have been able to gather I need to create a child theme. 

I haven't been able to find how to copy our current changes to the base them to a new child theme. I have been able to load the child theme provided in the download package, but haven't activated it yet.

Also I haven't been able to get a solid answer on the proper way to update our theme.

Thanks for the help

Eric

Comments

• Hi,
    Install the child theme like you would normally do a standard theme, then activate it and work on it.
    This way you can safely manipulate the theme files, and they will not get overwritten on update.
    Update only the parent theme.
    If you are not planning the make changes in the theme files directly you do not need to use a child theme.
    thanks
  • We have already made changes to the theme. So what is the best way to get those changes transferred over to the child theme?

• If the changes were made iretly to files you can transfer these files to the child them, remeber to save them in the same paths, for example if the file you modified is located in css/style.css you have to create the same directory in the child theme.

If you did make changes in the theme options, then the child theme will have all of the theme options from the parent theme