Google Maps API Key in theme version 6.5

edited December 2018 in Other
Hello,

I took over an existing WordPress website from a new client (www.jimnyparts.nl). This site uses the BeTheme version 6.5 in combination of WPBakery Page Builder. I did buy a new license for the theme because the former webdesigner refuses to give the license key because he stopped his business.
I updated the theme to the latest version, but it messed up the website completley. The header is missing and all elements are misplaced. So I reverted back to the old version. The reason I bought a new license is because the Google Maps is not working anymore and I need to implement the Google Maps Javascript API Key. But in version 6.5 there is no option for it. Is there a way to put the API key somewhere in a file without having to update to the newest version of the theme?

Best Regards,

Geert

Comments

• Hi Geert,
    how did you update the theme?
    We would suggest you make a backup and then reinstall it.
    The best way to do that is to go to your FTP and remove the theme from the themes folder completly.
    Then download the newest version and install it.

The previous developer might have changed the theme files and this is why after you update, the website looks different.

I have found this on the google API website:
    <script async defer src="https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=YOUR_API_KEY&callback=initMap"
      type="text/javascript"></script>

This is how they would attach a API key onto the website witout using the theme options in BeTheme.

This will be a temporary fix and it eventually lead to issues in the future.
    You should update the theme and re-build it a bit so it wont break apart after some time.

cheers
  • edited December 2018
    Hi Bryan,

That's what I did. I made a backup, removed all the files from the theme folder through FTP and installed the new version of the theme through the WordPress website.

I know that I have to place the JavaScript script for the Google API with the key somewhere. Normally this is done in the HTML file. But in WordPress and the themes it works differently. And that's my question. In what PHP file do I have to place that script so it works as it should?

The problem is that my client wants the issue with the Google Map solved but doesn't want to pay for the time spent on rebuilding the design of the website.

Cheers,

Geert

• Sorry but we cannot support such an old version of the theme. The previous deloper must had made changes to the theme files and this is why the website looks broken when the theme is updated. Normally it should not differ that much.

Normally scripts can be pasted in theme options>SEO fields or in theme options>global>hooks but since your theme is outdated we cannot be sure.
    You can always create a child theme and insert the script directly in your head or footer

thanks
  • Hi Bryan,

I paid for the new version of the theme and I paid for 6 months of support.
    Why I do I pay for support when I don't get suppport.

Not very customer friendly!!!!

Regards,

Geert

• edited December 2018
    Hey,
    We know that updating the theme from version 6.5 will lead to small changes but not ones that you describe.
    We are sure that the previous developer had made changes to the theme files and we do not support such changes. If you want we can take a look on your FTP:

Please send us WordPress dashboard and FTP access privately thru the contact form which is on the right side at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup#contact and we will check what might be the reason. Notice! Please attach a link to this forum discussion. Thanks

• Message is sent.
  • I have passed this information to our developers and they said that you would have to update the theme to the newest version. There are too many factors to take into consideration why wouldnt this work.
    The only sollution for now is to update the theme and configure it a bit so it looks the same as the old version.
    The theme should have updated fine, especially when you are using WPBakery page builder to create content. So there must have been changes in the theme files directly. The previous developer should had used a child theme.

If you want, you can install some kind of google api key plugin, but we cannot support such an old version of the theme.
  • Hi Bryan,

Thank you for the reply!

Cheers

Geert