Betheme update overrides chosen template

edited March 2019 in Theme support
To Support TEAM --> Please scroll down to March 25th (the issue question is there)

_______
Hello

Whenever i make a betheme update, for some reason, it overrides my chosen template. How can I keep my template changes and still be able to update the betheme framework?

Comments

• Hi,
    By 'chosen template' you mean the customization of theme files?
    The BeTheme update does not overwrite any of your theme settings or content of your page.
    Thanks
  • I will try to be a bit more specific.

1. Betheme is installed
    2. I chose one of the templates which are avaiable. 
    3. Template is installed and edited (changed in style and layout, colors etc).
    4. Template is ready and live.
    5. Betheme issues a betheme update.
    6. Betheme is updated
    7. Template is overwritten. (footer is changed, certain layout are overwritten).

Why does it overwrite and how can I avoide this, so my edited template stays the same and does not go back to its original form...
  • While downloading the update, it only replaces the files in the theme files directory.

All of the settings from Theme Options and Muffin Builder are stored in the database, so it's not possible to overwrite the theme options and muffin builder content.

If you customize your theme files somehow, you should use the Child Theme.
    More about it here:
    https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/advanced-topics/child-themes/
    Thanks
  • Hi Pablo,

Thank you for your message. I will try to study the child theme concept. Perhaps im doing something wrong.

Can I ask you an additional question. It is regarding Sidebars.

please visit this site's subpage. can you se the blue box, which i have called with one of the short codes:

I need an additional smaller box (on some pages), enough for just two/three lines, but in green. The same green as you see surrounding the menu on the top.

How can i add a smaller box underneeth the blue?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.
  • Hi,
    Of course you can.
    Just add next widget for this sidebar.

I suggest, to use the "Custom HTML" widget, you can use the HTML/CSS code and our shortcodes there (https://themes.muffingroup.com/be/theme/shortcodes/boxes-infographics), so it's should good for you.
    Thanks
  • edited March 2019
    Hi Pablo,

Thank you for assisting with support.

I have managed to add the short code in the widget for the side-bar. You can see it here:

I have an idea that if i need to change the new blue box to a green color, it should be done under the Betheme theme options and then under color, and then perhaps under short code. 

How do i then change the info_box shortcode from blue to green? Im not sure which function to edit in order to change the color.
    [info_box]Insert your content here[/info_box]
  • The Infobox inherits the background color from the Contact Box, so you won't change it through the theme options.

Please paste this code into the Theme Options > Custom CSS & JS > CSS to change that background color
    .infobox{
    background:green !important;
    }
    Thanks
  • Hi Pablo 

Thansk for the code. It worked quite well. 

What i have done so far: 

1. I have created multiple side-bars for each sub-page under bethemes -> themes options -> sidebars
    2. I have added the code you shared under bethemes -> theme options -> custom css / js
    3. Under appearence -> widgets (just under help center widget) i have added - for each sidebar - a custom HTML module and added the following code:

[contact_box title="Kontakt os" address="<strong>Plenum</strong><br>Toftegårdsvej 3<br>DK-4550 Asnæs" telephone="(+45) 53500393" telephone_2="" fax="" email="[email protected]" www="http://www.plenum.nu" image="https://www.plenum.nu/Plenum_get_in_touch.png"]<br>[info_box]Insert your content here[/info_box]

This gives me the following setup for the sidebars (a blue and green module) 

The sidebar (specially the green module) is to containt different text for different sub page (the blue contact info stays the same on all pages). 

To call the green module, i have used this code:  [info_box]Insert your content here[/info_box] And "insert your content here" is where different text goes for different page.

Now the challenge i'm facing is as followed:
    When ever i add the above code in widgets as custom html, save the section. Leave the page and come back to widget module, the custom html has disappeared completly. The code, the custom html module, everything is gone (even though i saved).

Why does it do that?

• edited March 2019
    Does this happen when all of your plugins are disabled?
    Please disable all of the plugins, clear the cache of your browser and check if the issue still exists.
    Thanks
  • No, some of the plug-ins are active as we speak and some are turned off. Example, I cannot turn off the slider revolution plugin, because it is being used on the main page and the website is live for customers to access.

I'm using the Safari browser, but i do have Firefox and Chrome installed as well.

What do you recommend?
  • Hi,

Please go to your FTP, create a php file with phpinfo() function inside and send us a link to that file privately thru the contact form which is on the right side at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup#contact so we can have a look on your server settings. Remember to also send your license key and Wordpress admin login credentials. The problem is probably related to limits but to be sure which one is the reason, we need that link. For more details about file creation, please visit https://mediatemple.net/community/products/dv/204643880/how-can-i-create-a-phpinfo.php-page.

Notice!
    1. Attach your license key and the WordPress admin login credentials.
    2. Send a link to this discussion, so the email support knows where to look.

Thanks
  • Hi Pablo

I have just sent the mail as requested.

Regards,
    Faraz
  • Hi,
    I was on your website and the problem is related to your sidebar names.
    You cannot use there signs like '-' or other special signs.

Please remove these sidebars and use the letters only for their names.
    Thanks
  • edited March 2019
    Ok - i give it a try. This was my mistake as i did not read properly - sorry about this.

I just wanted to ask. Can i use white space, like "Help Center" instead of " - " these?
  • Hi Pablo,

I have done as you have asked. It works pretty good but there are still some sidebars, under widgets, which do not seem to save the Custom HTML (when i log out and in again) it has disappearad.

I think it might have to do someting with the danish letters Æ. Ø. Å . seems like it does not recognize these letters. Is there a work-around regarding these letters?
  • Blank spaces should be okay.
    Just be aware of the special signs.

Unfortunately, we do not have workaround for danish letters.
    Please use regular letters only.
    Thanks