Video pop-up

edited April 2015 in Portfolio
Hi ! Is there a way to click on the portfolio item and to have a youtube video in the pop-up, instead of the featured image ?  Or, more specific, how do I use prettyphoto with a portfolio ?

Comments

• Hi,

Instead of featured image you can’t use just video but
    without popup effect. If you want to have video in popup, you must use
    items like Call to action or Popup with prettyphoto class.
  • edited April 2015
    Yes but how do I use the prettyphoto inside the portoflio. I mean, how do I get a pop-up video when clicking on a portfolio item ?
  • Do you mean clicking on portfolio item on portfolio list?
  • edited April 2015
    yes, for example, I have the portfolio page in masonry flat style and when I click on an item, i need it to pop up a video. I've seen this in other websites, i'm sure it is possible...
  • So this is unfortunately not possible. We do not have anything like that. We got only option to open images in pretty photo and this can be done under Theme options > Getting started > Portfolio section where "Portfolio Link" option is.
  • This is very disappointing. What would it take for you to add this? 

At a glance, this theme is pretty cool, the default styles look nice, and a lot of the interactions are quite clean, right out of the box. But I have found working actually with it a real pain. The documentation is lacking, and trying to recreate any of the demo themes is extremely time consuming.

Now to discover video portfolios lack two or three vital functions is a big oversight in my opinion. The only way I can see to achieve this is to manually insert Zoom-Image boxes with a video link rather than an image URL. This ongoing makes content management a real pain, it's sort of "hardcoded". 

I'm curious, considering you already have all the components to make this function possible why would you leave it off?

I think these three key things would make a huge difference, and they would not be difficult for you to implement.
    1. Automatically generate feature image thumbnails based on the videos URL and the oEmbed API. Also allow these to be manually overridden if the user uploads a Feature Image themselves.
    2. Allow more flexibility in the Portfolio List/Grid display for example I'd much prefer to use the Zoom-Box in the grid than any of the other options, but again this does not look to be possible.
    3. Users should be able to define that videos can open in the prettyphoto modal window, rather then opening the feature image or linking to a separate page. 
      All of the features already exist in the theme but are totally disjointed. For now I will have to make do, I hope you can consider these improvement for a future release.

Cheers
  • Thanks for suggestions but if you have any other suggestions, please always leave them in "Announce" topic where users leave all suggestions.