I cannot change the permalinks structure- Error 404 Page appears

Hi there!
I have an issue with changing the structure of permalinks from "plain" to "post name".
Once, I update the structure, any post I've got on the site takes me to Error 404 page. What's the solution and how could I change it?

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards,

Alena

Comments

• Hi,
    Is your PHP Version 7 or higher?
    Is your WP and BeTheme up to date?
    Also, please send us a link to your website.
    Thanks
  • Hi Pablo,

Hm, not sure how to check my PHP Version, I will ask for help. Now I have version 21.1.7 installed.  I have tried to update the theme to 21.2.1., however, it doesn't let me. It says: 

"An error occurred while updating Betheme: The update cannot be installed because we will be unable to copy some files. This is usually due to inconsistent file permissions. assets, assets/animations, assets/animations/animations.min.css, assets/animations/animations.min.js, assets/jplayer, assets/jplayer/jplayer.min.js, assets/jplayer/Jplayer.swf, assets/jplayer/css, assets/jplayer/css/jplayer.blue.monday.jpg,..." and this list goes on and on. 

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Alena

• Please contact your hosting provider and ask him about permissions to write.
    As the error message says, the problem is related to missing permissions which are very necessary to download/update and do almost anything on your website.
    Thanks
  • I have been talking to the hosing provider, and he says that permissions to write were provided. Hm, is there a certain procedure I could go through to check the permissions? 

Thank you,

Alena
  • Unfortunately, it cannot be check through the wordpress settings.
    I think, that the problem is still related with missing permissions.

But, please disable all of the plugins, clear the cache of the browser and try to change the permalinks structure.
    If the problem will still appear, please contact the hosting provider once more and ask him about:
    1) PHP Version - It has to be 7 or higher.
    2) Logs, he should recognize the problem after looking at the error logs.
    Thanks