Reduce number of images generated by theme

Hi

Is there a way to control the number on thumbnails that are auto generated by the theme? 

Currently, when an image is uploaded, an additional 17 images are generated. If the site is image intensive it obviously impacts on server space, backup storage etc. 

If there is a way to prevent specific sizes from being generated, is there any way of knowing which component will be affected by this?

Many thanks

Comments

• Hey,

this is how wordpress works and unfortunately we can't control how many thumbnails uploads.

Thanks for understanding!
  • Many thanks for your response

The reason I asked was on some premium themes I've used there are only 4 additional thumbnails created and these correspond to the Settings > Media sizes, while other premium themes generate 17 thumbnails. I wondered if this difference was related to a specific plugin?
  • This is because of theme layout and depends on items and different pages that needs sizes. If you want to remove some thumbnails sizes, you can modify functions/theme-functions.php file where we have own add_size_functions() to create thumbs but they are necessary for different types of pages. 4 sizes have themes that do not use own image sizes because they don't have such many shortcodes or custom pages. That could be the difference.
  • No problem. Many thanks