BeTheme error preventing updates to site

Hello!

Please note that I just attempted to send this as a private message, but I did not receive confirmation that it reached you. Since I am in need of support ASAP, I am also posting it here.

I have six BeTheme licenses (I really love it).

Today I am having an issue on the domain www.citrinepublishing.com, where I am running Version: 13.5.1. Ever since I received WP's automated error message (below) earlier today, I cannot make updates to the site. I have been trying to swap out certain graphics, and the changes are not being saved. (On the pages I am trying to update, the "Saving..." message in the upper right-hand corner remains flashing; the "Update" button remains grayed out; and the changes do not take.)

Thank you for your help!

Howdy!

Since WordPress 5.2 there is a built-in feature that detects when a
plugin or theme causes a fatal error on your site, and notifies you with
this automated email.

In this case, WordPress caught an error with your theme, Betheme.

First, visit your website (https://www.citrinepublishing.com/) and check for any visible issues. Next, visit the page where the error was caught (https://www.citrinepublishing.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=186&action=edit&meta-box-loader=1&meta-box-loader-nonce=66d2d117ad&_locale=user) and check for any visible issues.

Please contact your host for assistance with investigating this issue further.

If your site appears broken and you can't access your dashboard
normally, WordPress now has a special "recovery mode". This lets you
safely login to your dashboard and investigate further.

[Hidden; let me know if you need this link]

To keep your site safe, this link will expire in 1 day. Don't worry
about that, though: a new link will be emailed to you if the error
occurs again after it expires.

Error Details

=============

An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 918 of the file /home3/yourfrf1/public_html/si
tes/citrinepublishing/wp-content/themes/betheme/functions/builder/back.php. Error message: Uncaught Error: [] operator not supported for strings in /home3/yourfrf1/public_html/sites/citrinepublishing/wp-content/themes/betheme/functions/builder/back.php:918

Stack trace:

#0 /home3/yourfrf1/public_html/sites/citrinepublishing/wp-content/themes/betheme/functions/meta-portfolio.php(460): mfn_builder_save(186)

#1 /home3/yourfrf1/public_html/sites/citrinepublishing/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(288): mfn_portfolio_save_data(186)

#2 /home3/yourfrf1/public_html/sites/citrinepublishing/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)

#3 /home3/yourfrf1/public_html/sites/citrinepublishing/wp-includes/plugin.php(465): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)

#4 /home3/yourfrf1/public_html/sites/citrinepublishing/wp-includes/post.php(3951): do_action('save_post', 186, Object(WP_Post), true)

#5 /home3/yourfrf1/public_html/sites/citrinepublishing/wp-includes/post.php(4028): wp_insert_post(Array, false)

#6 /home3/yourfrf1/public_html/sites/citrinepublishing/wp-admin/includes/post.php(405): wp_update_post(A

Comments

• Hello,
    we would first try to update the theme and plugin to the newest version.
    Then check if the PHP version on your server is the newest ( newer than 7.0 ) and disable all of your plugins. Maybe there is a plugin that causes this issue.
    thanks
  • Thank you. What is the step-by-step process for updating the theme (without breaking the site that is there)?
  • If you did not change anythng in the theme files then nothing will break. If you did, better make a backup.
    The update of the theme can be done from wordpress dashboard>updates, like other themes.
    thanks
  • Yes, I changed  nothing. Do I just upload the newer version of theme through wordpress dashboard>updates and "switch" as if it's a theme change?
  • Sorry, we forgot that your version of the theme is below 20.
    So, that means it will not be possible to update the theme from the dashboard.

Here is an instruction on how to update the theme:
    http://themes.muffingroup.com/betheme/documentation/#general
    Theme updates will not delete your content unless you have changed the
    files directly in which case we suggest using a child theme.
    We also recommend creating a backup file.
    Please remove the theme completely from your theme folder and install a
    fresh copy. Do not overwrite files.

thanks