Portfolio Categories in Sidebar says "No Categories"

I am using Portfolio for tutorials.  I am saving Blog Posts for later and will use it as a blog only to use for articles.  I have put all demo posts in draft mode.  I have several portfolio pages and they have categories assigned.  However, when I click on a portfolio page the sidebar that has a category widget says, "no categories".  If I take one blog post out of draft and then publish then the categories show in the portfolios sidebar widget.  The sidebar widget will only show categories if there is one published post (blog)  but I don't want blogs active right now.  How can I get my category sidebar to show portfolio categories?  Also, I have to set my posts page in Settings/Reading to Blog.  If I set it to my Portfolio page the portfolio page shows no results.  It appears the portfolio is dependent on posts being active/published.  If I click on a category in the sidebar it then takes me to the Blog page results and shows only blog posts.

Comments

• Hello,
    It's important to be your posts posted to display the categories which are used.
    This is how the basic wordpress works, we didn't change it in any way.

Thanks
  • I do not understand your response.  Are you saying that I must have active blog posts to get portfolio items' categories to work?  If so,  that means that I must create at least one fake blog post to get portfolio categories working correctly.  That doesn't make sense.  People have portfolio items active with no blog.  You make demo themes that have portfolio items with no blog.  Please clarify.
  • BeTheme does not have the widget for portfolio categories, the "Categories" widget is only for blog, not portfolio - because it's a basic wordpress widget.

But, it sounds like a great idea, we'll take it into the consideration.
    I have to ask you, to send that suggestion in this topic:

My answer could be a little bit not understandable, sorry about that, but I hope it's more clear now.

Greetings
  • I figured out a workaround.  Instead of using categories in my sidebar I used Muffin Tag cloud with Taxonomy/portfolio categories.  Results go back to Portfolio page.  Thank you for your response.  Your second response was more detailed and explanatory.  I get it now.  Like you stated, it would be a nice feature to have a separate categories widget just for portfolio items.  Then you could separate lessons or tutorials from articles or posts.
  • Glad to hear that.
    If you will have any further problems/questions - feel free to ask.
    thanks