BeTheme 21.5.9 Causes Critical Error

edited March 2020 in Updates & Changelog
I tried updating my development environment this morning from BeTheme 20.9.2 to BeTheme 21.5.9.  Upon installing and re-activing the child theme, my site threw a critical error (There has been a critical error on your website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions).  

My Wordpress version is 5.3.2. 

PHP version is 7.3

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this? 

Comments

• Hello,
    Please enable the debug mode (WP_DEBUG) and check which error it throws.
    Probably, the problem is on your modifications, because the theme was working fine when the parent theme was enabled.

Thanks
  • How do you enable debug mode?  Also, once I update BeTheme and active the child, I can't get back into the WP site admin. The site is broken.  So not sure how I would run debug mode at that point to check the error. 
  • Hey,
    Please send us WordPress dashboard access privately thru the contact form which is on the right side at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup#contact and we will check what might be the reason.

Notice!
    Please attach a link to this forum discussion and your ftp access.

Thanks
  • edited May 2021

I just encountered this problem again. I updated BeTheme from 20.9.2 to 22.0.3 in my Dev environment. Activating the Child theme causes a fatal error, and I can no longer get into the WP admin (the site is broken).

Per above, this has happened in the past with previous BeTheme updates, and whatever the issue was, it seemed to resolve itself with subsequent BeTheme releases. In the past, I simply restored the dev environment via a backup, and then waited for the next BeTheme release which (for whatever reason) didn't cause the fatal error.

The critical error also triggers an email from Wordpress saying "Your site is experiencing a technical issue". The Wordpress email provides the support details below. Appreciate any guidance on how to troubleshoot this.

WordPress version 5.7.2

Current theme: Betheme Child (version 1.6.1)

Current plugin:  (version )

PHP version 7.3.27

Error Details

=============

An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 232 of the file /code/wp-content/themes/betheme-child/includes/meta-webinars.php. Error message: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mfn_get_sliders() in /code/wp-content/themes/betheme-child/includes/meta-webinars.php:232

Stack trace:

#0 /code/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(292): mfn_webinars_meta_add('')

#1 /code/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(316): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)

#2 /code/wp-includes/plugin.php(484): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)

#3 /code/wp-admin/includes/menu.php(155): do_action('admin_menu', '')

#4 /code/wp-admin/menu.php(327): require_once('/code/wp-admin/...')

#5 /code/wp-admin/admin.php(158): require('/code/wp-admin/...')

#6 /code/wp-admin/themes.php(10): require_once('/code/wp-admin/...')

#7 {main}

thrown

• Does this error appear when you have only the parent theme activated?

Are you able to test the newest version without a child theme?

Thanks

• Hi Phil - I just tested it again, and when I enable the parent theme after updating, I don't get the error. It only occurs when I re-activate my child theme after updating BeTheme to the latest version. And I have some additional details. After restoring my dev environment from a backup, I switched the environment to SFTP mode in my hosting tool. I then re-launched the WP admin, and went into the "Theme Editor" within Wordpress. I opened the file mentioned in the error log above (meta-webinars.php) and scrolled down to line 232, which shows the following code:

'options' => mfn_get_sliders(),

The code in this child theme has been written this way for years now, so something in the latest BeTheme update has caused wordpress to suddenly not like this line of code. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that no values have been set between the parens, but I don't know what value(s) would fix this issue.

• If this problem does not appear in the parent theme, then I am not able to help you because I do not know what changes you made in your child theme, and we do not provide help with file customization.

https://support.muffingroup.com/documentation/installation-updates/#child-theme

In that case, you should contact your web developer, and he should help you.

You can check what files were modified in what version in the changelog:

https://support.muffingroup.com/changelog/

Best regards