javascript files are not loading

Hi,

I am using a pdf embedder plugin called PDF Embedder Premium Secure. I use it to upload and display pdfs on my site. I have been using this plugin with no issues for over 2 years. However, after the last theme update, my pdfs are no longer displaying. I contacted the plugin developer and they said that the javascript that is responsible for displaying the pdfs is not loading. They said to check cacheing settings and SEO settings if I am using any of those plugins. They also said that it could be a theme confict. I am not using any cacheing or SEO plugins. So I suspected the theme. I turned off BeTheme and loaded Twenty Twenty and the pdfs displayed again as they should. Did something in the last theme update change that is not allowing the correct javascript to load?

the following javascript files should load, but none of them are:

all-pdfemb-premium.min.js (or -basic.min.js)
compatibility.min.js (no longer included in plugin with version 3.1.8+)
pdf.min.js
pdf.worker.min.js

Can you point me in the right direction to correct this issue?
Thanks so much.

Comments

• Hi,

Sorry, but we did not test this script/plugin with the theme. Our policy states that we do not support third party plugins or custom code so unfortunately, we cannot be of any help to you.
    Also, we cannot recommend any plugins other than the ones we support. You can find the list on this page, in the sidebar:
    https://themeforest.net/item/betheme-responsive-multipurpose-wordpress-theme/7758048

thanks
  • Sorry, I realize that you don't support third party plugins. I was just wondering if you could point me in the direction to trouble shoot since the plugin worked perfectly until the last theme update. So, somehow, the theme update caused issues. I am working with the plugin developer, but thought some details about the theme update might help them.
  • Sorry, but we are not sure what can be the source of the problem.
    We would have to get into the plugins file and analyse what can be causing it, and this will take a lot of time.

If this would be a supported plugin, then yes, indeed, we would fix that as soon as it's possible.
    Thanks
  • Thank you. The plugin developer is wondering if there is any sort of cacheing built into the theme? I have search and don't see an answer to that question in the knowledge base or the FAQs.
  • BeTheme does not include any caching functionalities.
    Usually customers are installing some third-party plugins for it.
    Thanks
  • Thank you. I assumed that was the case, but just wanted to double check.
  • Hi,
    I'm back again after chatting with the pllugin developer. He is asking "what was changed in the latest version that would affect JS-dependent plugins from running on the front end of the site." I sent him the changelog, but that is not specific enough for him to determine where the problem between the plugin and the theme might be.
  • I have to say I am VERY disappointed in the support I have received for this issue. My plugin developer is willing to jump through hoops in order to make their plugin work with this theme even though there were no changes to the plugin and we have determined that the latest update to the theme is what has caused my problem. 

I am using this theme on 25 of my client's websites so I have invested a significant amount of money in supporting BeTheme. I am just really disappointed that all I get are repeated references to the changelog when I need a bit more specific information in order to get my website functioning properly again.
  • Hey,
    sorry about that but we do not have any more information here. We are only a theme support forum and we do not help with such complicated issues, especially when it comes to third party plugins.

We would suggest you first disable all possible plugins you have - leave only the one plugin active - then make sure there is no cache on your server and test if the plugin does not work.
    If it does not work, please tell your developer to send us some information, are there console errors?
    thanks
  • Hi,

The process you describe is the first thing I did. The plugin works flawlessly as long as I am not using the latest version of BeTheme (21.7.2) I have not tried version 7.4. With the 7.2 version of the theme installed I rolled back the plugin to the previous version and the problem persisted. I rolled back the WordPress installation to the previous version and the problem persisted. I rolled the theme back to the previous version and every thing worked with the latest version of the plugin and the latest version of WordPress. So I am pretty confident that it was the update to BeTheme 21.7.2 that caused the issue.

The javascript console shows that the following files are not loading:

all-pdfemb-premium.min.js (or -basic.min.js)
    compatibility.min.js (no longer included in plugin with version 3.1.8+)
    pdf.min.js
    pdf.worker.min.js

There have not been any changes to the plugin so we are not sure what happened with the theme that caused these files to stop loading with the updated version of the theme.

Thank you for reopening this ticket. I have been afraid to try the update to version 21.7.4 because my client has experienced enough downtime of their site at this point. 
  • As I said, we are really sorry, but we do not support the third-party plugins which are not included in the theme by the default.
    We have to be equal for all of the customers, so we cannot modify or bend the rules for anyone.

Surely, you should ask your developer to compare these two versions of the theme and resolve the conflict between the plugin and the theme.

Thanks
  • Really???? I'm not asking you to support the plugin, I am asking for theme help. Surely you know what changes were made between the two versions that would affect the loading of java script on the front end. It seems unreasonable to me to have to ask the plugin developer to do that research when it is not their plugin that is causing the issue.

I can't believe that this is such a difficult process. 

I guess I'll have to rethink my support for your theme. It's a shame because I have really liked this theme and I have recommended it to many (more than 25) of my clients. 
  • We have the same information as on the changelog.
    Specific changes on files are not registered anywhere on the changelog.

The only way to fix that is to hire the web developer to give him a job to compare these two versions of the betheme and solve the problem.

Also, it's not a theme not working with the plugin, it's a plugin not working with the theme.
    thanks