Child Theme

Hello,

I've edited the "header-top-area.php" file and uploaded it into the "betheme-child" directory, however it's not overriding the original header top area file.
Have I missed a step in setting up the child theme?

I also currently have the child theme activated.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Hi,

we think that you missed everything probably because sounds like you don't know what you did. Only 2 files are under child theme. Please take a look at https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes where all information about child theme are.

Thanks!
  • Hi,

You thought wrong because I didn't miss any steps. I have done my research before asking the question including reading through the page linked in your answer. If you actually took to the time to read my question i wasn't asking about the styles.css and functions.php files, I was wondering why my header-top-area file wasn't overriding the original one once uploaded into the child theme directory. And yes that is possible if you read under the heading "Template Files" on the Wordpress Child Theme Codex page.

Incase anyone is having a similar issue and since it's evident you guys don't know what your talking about, i've looked further into this issue and found the problem was that the file needed to be uploaded into a folder name "includes" within the child theme directory. It needs to be done this way as the header file links to that path (get_template_part( 'includes/header', 'top-area' );). Therefore if you wanted to override a file located in sub folders within the parents theme directory, you would also need to create the sub folders in the child theme directory then place the edited file in there.

Thank you for your useless attempt Muffin Group!
  • edited May 2015
    There is no need to be so rude :) We forwarded you to the right place because we thought that you missed basic steps what usually users do. However the modifications you do are not included into theme and for those kind of changes only website developer is responsible. We stopped with customizations long time ago because many people don't know what they are doing and even after one line change got more and more problems.

Hope you understand what we mean. Thanks!