Reducing theme file sizes and reduce bloat to speed up load times

Hi,

I have been using BeTheme for around 4 years now for my company website hempura.shop. With the recent changes to requirements from Google that are focussed on page speed, BeTheme is now seemingly quite bloated and causing the website to load slow.

Having looked into the scripts loading on the site, BeTheme has a number of large files that are seemingly filled with code that is unused by the website itself.

For example,. the following file is ~200kb:

/wp-content/themes/betheme/js/plugins.js

Inside the file there is a lot of functionality that the website is not making use of:

'sticky sidebar', 'waypoints', 'slider', 'nice scroll', 'magnific popup', unsure about 'isotope', 'before after twenty twenty' is not used I dont think, 'chart'.

Other files such as the following are seemingly very heavy file sizes amounting to 100kb/s per page:

/wp-content/themes/betheme/css/layout.css

/wp-content/themes/betheme/css/shortcodes.css

/wp-content/themes/betheme/js/scripts.js

--

Is there an option to deactivate/remove/strip out the unnecessary code that is part of this theme to make it load faster? I do not want to have to try to migrate to a lighter theme as the website is set up nicely.

I think it would be a risk to create a child theme and strip out the code there as any theme update wouldn't be captured and it would become complicated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hello,

All features and functions that can be disabled are placed in Betheme -> Theme options -> Global -> Advanced.

Any further changes require file customization, and in reference to the Item Support Policy, I am not able to help you with it. http://themeforest.net/page/item_support_policy

So if you want to modify files and don't know how, you should contact your web developer. Item Policy says:

Item support does not include services to modify or extend the item beyond the original features, style, and functionality described on the item page. For customization services that will help you tailor the item to your specific requirements, we recommend contacting the author to see if they privately offer paid customization services or checking out the great service providers on Envato Studio.

Thanks

• Well, that was an enormous waste of signing up for more support...

Looks like we have to migrate themes then, as BeTheme is bloated and is no longer an appropriate solution to build a modern website on.

Thanks