Unable to upload images (or any other files) properly

Whenever my colleagues and I try to upload any file (usually images, but the problem exists with any other file as well) in the media section it results in a missing thumbnail as you can see above. The last image that was uploaded successfully was done so on 23rd November last year.

The as soon as one tries to open the wordpress preview window to look at the image, there is nothing. When I try to use the built-in image editor, the image appears for as long as I edit it but dissapears as soon as I save or cancel it. If I try to use those files on the website, they just don’t appear.

I’ve tried connecting to our hosting provider via sftp and change permissions of the upload folder and subdirectories to the numeric value 755 and files to the permissons 644, it worked but didn’t fix anything.

I’ve also tried a plugin (which I’ve uninstalled by now) that allows import of files via ftp, also resulted in the same broken image.

Afterwards I disabled every plugin to see if it changes anything, nothing changed. At this point I have to assume that it is a problem with the theme. I would activate another theme just to try if that fixes it, but I'm scared of losing any work done to the current theme.

I wasn’t able to find the same problem anywhere online, health check didn’t give me anything to work with.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hi,

You do not have to worry about losing anything by switching themes because all information is stored in the database. However, notice that you can make a backup of your website with the Duplicator plugin.

So to check if the issue lies on the Betheme side, please, switch to another theme like Twenty Twenty, and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks

• I used the Duplicator plugin as you said, sadly it broke some parts of the website (all information in the footer widgets was gone for example), but I managed to reproduce it.

Media upload is still broken, it didn't work with Twenty Twenty One either.

• So it can mean that your WP installation is corrupted or the issue lies on the server-side.

As the root cause does not come from the Betheme I cannot help much. I can only recommend reinstalling your WP for your website. If this will not help you should stay in touch with your server administrator.

Best regards