JS error in google search

When i search the new site with your theme in google I get an error:

Untitled

http://willowriverside.com

For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.

I have searched for a solution and it looks like it is a theme issue:

Site is WillowRiverside.com Our support is valid until 6 October 2022. The site is now live and the client is upset.

Please help!

(Below is the google discussion regarding this issue on another site).

Well as such, Google just uses the text from the page to create the snippet. That text comes from the site itself. That text exists in the HTML. That text isn't 'generated' by Google. 

Doesnt matter if the user (running the search) has javascript enabled or not. Its just plain text. 

Under 'normal' circumstances the websites own code, would hide or remove that message from the page when JS is run. Making the assumption that if the browser doesnt have JS enabled, they will still see that message. 

There are two complications re search engines with this. 

• The site javascript MAY not of run during the indexing. Googel tries to render JS - but sometimes fails (see the link provided by itsRaman!) ... so that text might end up being cached - and hence usable in the snippet. 
  • Franky it still the site owner responslibity to 'gracefully' degrade is JS fails. 
  •  
  • The site designer may only 'hide' the text with CSS or using <noscript> - the problem with both of these techniques, is the text REMAINS in the DOM. So when Google saves the page post-render, these messages remain in the page, and hence potentially an be used in a snippet. It's best for the JS to REMOVE the message, not just hide it. 

One trick that a site owner should really do to avoid this, is wrap such messages in a 'data-nosnippet' block, which would prevent Googel being ABLE to to use these messages in the snipppet (regardless if JS was executed during indexing-rendering or not!) 

Comments