Saving changes results in empty page

Hello,

We kindly request your assistance as we're currently experiencing some issues with a BeTheme website.

To give in a little context, we got this project from a customer and a website that was already partially built. The customer didn't come with BeTheme licensed so we took care of that, updated the theme and checked if all settings were correct, which they are. The values we're showing here are local enforced via `.user.ini `.

We've upped max_input_vars from 10K to 100K just to be sure. We've tested with PHP 7.4 and 8.1. We've also upped the memory_limit just to be sure.

Basically what happens is: there's a given page (contacts) that when we edit (using BeBuilder), we remove a simple line text line and save, and the page is emptied.

We have also tested using the regular edit (which seems to take us to a sort of backend editor) when we select that block and edit, the block content is empty. Even inside the editing, I can't get the text back. Its uncanny.

We do have the child theme enabled, but for the purpose of diagnosing the issue we have activated the regular BeTheme theme instead of the child, and attempted the changes. The result is always the same.

Please advise, thank you.

Comments

• Hello,

Please share with us your PHPINFO file.

If you do not know how to do it, please check this topic:

https://support.muffingroup.com/how-to/how-to-create-phpinfo-php-page/

Also, please, turn off all of the plugins, refresh your cache, and check if the problem persists.

Thanks

PS.

I encourage you to check our Facebook group if you have not done it yet. You can talk there about Betheme and confront your experience with others:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/betheme/

• Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reply and I apologise in advance for the bluntness of what comes next.

We can easily provide you the phpinfo(); output, but how exactly do you propose we do that? We are not looking to paste our phpinfo on a public forum.

Also, I am sorry but we don't look for support on facebook groups. We don't even see how this "forum post" is considered a "support ticket", but definitely that when we talk to a provider about support for a purchased product, we do it privately.

About disabling all the plugins and refresh cache/testing, we will do this and provide feedback. Will let you know asap. in the meanwhile, please inform how we can provide what was asked privately. Thank you.

• Please send this information privately thru the contact form, which is on the right side at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup#contact.

Notice!

Please attach a link to this forum discussion.

We created the Facebook group not to provide support (this is what this forum is for), but as a user-to-user help/discussion community-driven group.

Thanks

• Hi again Phil, thank you for your reply and I will send the phpinfo link via the link you provided.

I'm sorry we still haven't been able to make the test (disabling the plugins etc) as requested since the change we are looking to do is simply remove a line of text (so the site is up atm) and we are waiting for confirmation from the site owner that we can put it down to maintenance to perform the tests.

• You have changed only the Local value of max input vars, but the Master value (which affects it) is untouched.

In that case, you need to contact your hosting provider to increase it, and the problem will be gone.

Best regards

• Dear Phil,

Thank you for your message. The customer is on a shared hosting of which I am admin and we do not change the master value. In 20 years of activity and managing systems this is literally the first time I've heard on a project where the local value is correctly defined, where the local values always work and are respected, that we should change the master value. This is unheard of, and if your theme/software is not respecting the values defined for the project as local value, then something is very wrong here.

Any value set for project base, be it memory_limit, upload_max_size, max_execution_time, ANY value set locally IS RESPECTED and works correctly. Can you provide documentation supporting your claims???

I kindly ask you to reconsider this answer. I'm appalled.

• Master value is more important than the local one.

As can be read under the following link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19520744/what-is-the-difference-between-local-value-and-master-value

Master is the value compiled into PHP or set via the main php.ini directive. I.e., the value that's in effect when PHP fires up before it executes any of your code.

As you can check on the topic below, increasing the master value resolved the problem:

https://forum.muffingroup.com/betheme/discussion/comment/215335#Comment_215335

Best regards

• edited October 2022

Dear Phil,

On the very same ANSWER, you can read the following:

local is the value that's currently in effect at the moment you call phpinfo(). This local value is the end result of any overrides that have taken place via ini_set() calls, php_valuedirectives in httpd.conf/.htaccess, etc.

You understand what OVERRIDES mean, correct?

Master Values come from PHP.INI as it REQUIRES an initial configuration/parametrisation. LOCAL Values IS THE END RESULT and the environment variables that are actually being used.

What you are claiming would mean a very serious problem with the PHP service itself. I don't care about one client you had where overriding the master value fixed it, for sure there was another underlying cause to it.

Your claims are VERY SERIOUS. Nothing on the link you provided actually supports your claims, as EVERY ANSWER CONFIRMS LOCAL VALUES OVERRIDE MASTER VALUES.

The second answer on that very same topic explains it better:

"Master Value" (from php.ini) could be overridden with "Local Value" in httpd.conf.htaccess or other Apache configuration with the php_value directive. The first is the local value, and the second is the global value. The local value overrides the global value and is set within PHP, HTACCESS, etc., whereas the global value is set within php.ini. To answer your question, the first value is used.

Again, I kindly invite you to instruct yourself better on this subject, or provide documented and confirmed examples to support your claims, other than "one guy" who had some problem on his setup which we can't really diagnose.

• Sorry, but what you wrote is not true.

1) The master(global) value cannot be overwritten by the local value.

2) The local value will never be bigger than the Master(global) value, this is normal and logical behavior. We have like 30-40 tickets in a month related to that problem and it always gets solved after increasing the MASTER(global) value, NOT local. Change of that value is a few clicks for the hosting provider if he is not able to do it all we can suggest is to change the hosting provider to another because the 1000 value is not enough for all, bigger themes for WordPress.

Best regards

• After all II'm actually glad this discussion is taking place on a public forum instead of a private ticket.

At least this way we can review your service publicly on the available platforms, and reference this topic so everyone can see the aberration of your claims, saying that the MASTER value needs to be greater than the LOCAL for it to work.

I mean, almost any individual who has used local environment variables knows this is not true.

Everyone uses local environment variables to INCREASE the values locally per-project basis, it is how it's done, PERIOD. Even a junior dev knows this. But if as you mentioned on the email, and I quote:

We’ve discussed it with many hosting administrators and providers already and LOCAL values take precedence over master but only if master are larger than local. Otherwise, it doesn’t work like that.

I can't even understand the lack of intelligence needed to make this claim, what an abnormality, but at least we know what we're dealing with. I'm actually sure no such "hosting administrators and providers" exist saying this, even any simple test will prove you wrong, but you didn't even care to TEST before making that claim. Ridiculous.

But thank you. We now know what we are dealing with, this has become very clear.

And as we said, will be reviewing your product and referencing this thread to make sure everyone gets a hold of it too.

• The only option to resolve that is to increase the Master Value of input vars on your server.

If I can help you with anything else, or if you have other questions, feel free to ask. 🙂

Best regards