Sidebar Not Displaying

I followed your instructions in documentation to create a sidebar.

First, I went into theme options and added a sidebar:

Then I added text to the widget:

Then I went to the page and selected sidebar layout and right sidebar:

Saved my settings, refresh my page, and no sidebar:

The only way I have been able to get it to work is by setting it as the default for pages, but when I do that, it puts a sidebar on the Homepage, which I don't want. Please help me fix this.

Thanks,

Terry

Comments

• Hi Terry,

what is the url to page where sidebar does not work?
  • Figured it out. In theme options, the page needed to be set to "Use Page Meta".

Sorry to say, but your documentation is really lacking on explaining how sidebar settings work. Glad I was able to resolve another issue by myself though.

• We didn't know that this is not clear. We thought that this is obvious that you must set global option first. Before you checked fixed sidebar layout for all pages, you should read the information which is below this option:

"This option can not be overwritten and it is useful for people who already have many pages and want to standardize their appearance."
  • Then it should have also been 'obvious' to you, from my screen shot that I'd made the wrong choice. Why did you ask for my URL?

I think you need to consider that the people working with your theme are not as familiar with its nuances as your team of developers and tech support are. What may seem obvious to you is not necessarily the case for someone who is seeing a setting like this for the first time.

I was surprised to see, when I went into widgets, that there was no right sidebar in the first place. Having to create one was a completely new thing to me. Here, the documentation was lacking. The instructions say to add a sidebar. So when I created one, I expected to see settings that would tell me the location to assign it to. And that's what I thought all of those settings below did. I didn't understand how adding additional sidebar names, without defining where they were supposed to go, could possibly work. A demo of this, in a quick 30-45 second video, or a series of steps similar to the screen shots I showed above would have been very helpful.

Terry
  • We asked for the URL because most people do mistakes in the code and it is much easier to check what they did wrong. That's why URL is always necessary. Also please notice that we are building this theme for over 2 years and even we do not remember some options that are included into theme.