BeTheme: Wordpress Returns 500 (Server) Errors

Hello! My client (petandhomecare.com) is running a modified version of BeTheme Vet. She called me today and pointed out that the site was completely broken. I couldn't even login to WP Admin, I was getting 500 errors.

It looks like the theme broke when this latest update came out on October 17th. The error log is full of PHP Fatal errors, "Cannot redeclare my_backdoor() (previously declared in [path-removed]/betheme/functions.php:94) in [path-removed]/theme-functions.php on line 1280 - starting on 10/18.

I changed the theme back to twentyfourteen via PHPMyAdmin and was able to access WP Admin again.

I disabled all themes and switched back to BeTheme and it broke WP again. 500 errors on every page.

Per your previous recommendation, I changed the following variables to 25MB - upload_max_filesize, max_execution_time, post_max_size, memory_limit. Verified here: http://petandhomecare.com/phpinfo.php

The theme still does not work.

I disabled BeTheme via PHPMyAdmin again and installed a plugin ("WP Maintenance Mode") to create a temporary splash page until we can get this fixed.

Please let me know what your next recommendation would be. Thank you!

Comments

• Hi,

if you got "Internal Server Error", you should contact with server admin because such errors can be sorted on their side only. However, we did checked your site already and all we see is maintenance mode. WP-Admin also works fine because we are able to see the login fields.
  • Hello,

As I mentioned above, WP-Admin is functioning because BeTheme is disabled. Once I enable BeTheme, Wordpress stops functioning completely, and the only way to disable the theme at that point is via PHPMyAdmin.

I did contact my host about this. They determined that it was the theme generating the errors.

Please refer to our email thread from this past week/weekend, starting on 10/22 ("[ThemeForest] Message sent via your Envato Market profile from Jiglet").

I'm happy to supply you with a Wordpress login/password so that you can login and enable the theme to see how it breaks Wordpress. I'd rather not enable the theme for now because the site will be broken for all visitors until I disable the theme again.

Please let me know how to best proceed. Thank you.
  • Of course you can send us dashboard access privately but we are nearly sure that we won' find anything else except what we already wrote. We are sure that the problem is on server side. To be 100% sure, we suggest to remove all theme files from FTP and then upload recent files from TF. Please do this via FTP only because it's the safest way to be sure that all files has been uploaded properly on server.
  • edited October 2015
    We were previously running a BeTheme child theme.

I just purchased, downloaded, and installed the latest version of BeTheme. When I uploaded the new version of BeTheme, it works - but the Child Theme no longer works.

I will message you the login and password. Please take a look and let me know what I can do to get this back up and running again. Thank you!

Here's some information on the theme directories:

/betheme/ - old version of betheme
    /betheme-child/ - child theme built on old version
    /betheme2/ - the newly purchased, newly installed betheme
    /betheme2-child/ - the old child theme, renamed to be paired with the new version of betheme