Betheme changed to per site licensing

Betheme recently switched to per site licensing. It is a love hate thing for me personally.... I hate the fact I have to rebuy it for every site now but as a developer I want to support these guys as they frickin earn it with how bad ass this theme is. My questions is this... 

The sites I used the older version for, if I were to update them to a newer copy, would it then request I buy a license or will it demand it and make the website stop working? I installed the theme in those locations at a time that the licensing model was not this way. What would the outcome be?

Comments

• To piggyback on this (because of a related question): I agree with supporting the devs and have always believed in buying a license for each site.

However, how does licensing work for development/staging URLs? I'm building a brand new one right now on a dev URL and don't want to license the wrong URL (but still need access to the full feature set).
  • Hi,
    @bovsihosting sorry to break it to you, but we did not change anything, you should always buy one license per domain, otherwise you are just stealing. It is all described in the license, please read it.
    We just had to do this registration function to avoid people who buy one license and use it for 100 domains. Which is just stealing. You should buy a license for each of the websites.

@GrowTheDream Just buy one license for staging/development and make subdomains or subdirectories. You can use one license per domain, but you can have unlimited subdomains and subfolders.

• Thanks for the tip!
  • edited July 2017
    @Muffin ;Support -- this did not work for me. As soon as I tried to use the purchase code on a second subdomain, I received this error:

Purchase code already used. Please deregister purchase code and remove theme folder on: subdomain.domain.com

Can you advise?
  • Yes, because the subdomain must be a part of the wordpress multisite.
  • A WordPress multi-site is very different from using a domain-wide licensing model. Is there any update to this?
  • No sorry, using a wordpress multisite means that you are using one parent theme for all websites. There is nothing we can do.