Breadcrumb generation according to Schema.org definition

Hello,

would BeTheme team consider rewriting breadcrumbs code to comply with http://schema.org/BreadcrumbList?

Google is known to generate breadcrumbs in search results according to this document: https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/breadcrumbs. It seems that BeTheme is generating a simple unordered list without any metadata. It shouldn't be hard to implement since Google states that only item / name and position are required in breadcrumbs trail (and the trail must be ol instead of ul).

I could modify the code myself, but I'd rather do it without modifying the source (because updates). Perhaps there's a way to simply filter the breadcrumbs output in child theme's functions.php without touching the source?

Comments

• edited October 2017
    I have found a temporary solution with Markup (JSON-LD) structured in schema.org plugin. This plugin generates proper schema with script tag using JSON-LD. However, in some cases (like portfolio items) this plugin doesn't generate accurate code.

For example, when BeTheme generates breadcrumbs like this:
    Home -> Portfolio -> Category -> Item

Plugin generates schema according to this:
    Home -> Category -> Item

Which is quite odd.

Also, it's rather temporary considering that schema could be added directly to the breadcrumb trail gnerated with BeTheme.
  • Also, another idea, possibly easier to implement (faster) would be an extra option in BeTheme settings that would allow custom shortcode for breadcrumb generation which would disable breadcrumb function built into BeTheme. BeTheme would execute the shortcode instead of own breadcrumbs function.

There are custom breadcrumb plugins like Breadcrumb NavXT or Yoast SEO breadcrumbs that use shortcodes to place their breadcrumb trail. Having a theme execute "do shortcode" instead of own shortcode function would allow the use of custom breadcrumb solutions using the same places as designed for breadcrumbs in theme (in layout).

That would be extremely flexible!
  • Hello,
    We will look into it, thank you for your insight.
    thanks