How to create a child theme?

We have the BeTheme installed, and I hear there's an update coming, but we don't to kill our existing site with the update!  I'm told we should generate a child theme and use this for the public site. Can you point me to a tutorial or explain how to do with with your theme???

Comments

• When you download the package with the theme you will have the default be-theme zip file and the child-theme, install both and activate the child theme. Then work on the child theme and update only the parent theme.
  • OK, got that. How do I *work* on the child theme? Anytime I make a change, it assigns it to the parent CSS
  • I installed and have modified the main parent theme some time ago. So even if I install and Activate the child theme now, how do I make sure the existing changes are used by the child theme, and not affected by the parent update?
  • No, if you install the child theme nothing will change. Only the widgets from  sidebars will be removed in the child theme so you would have to set theme again.

You work on a child theme like you would a normal theme, the difference is that you update the parent theme only and any new files you create and modify in the child theme folder will no get overwritten when updating the parent theme.
  • Right, I understand the purpose of the child theme. What I'm asking, is how do I migrate all of the details I have changed/customized in the Parent, over to the child so future updates don't mess things up?
  • Sorry but we do not understand your question because all settings/options are being stored in database and you won't lose them with the update. So you don't need to move them anywhere.
  • I'm talking about any style or CSS changes?
  • If you made them all under BeTheme Options > Custom CSS & JS > Custom CSS section, you won't lose anything because it's still stored in database.
  • OK, so if everything I've done is saved in the database, what kind of changes might get lost if I update the Parent theme? Why have a child theme?
  • Because some people change the theme files to modify it. There is more to the theme than just theme options and custom css in theme options>custom css&js>css

So when updating the parent theme, the files get overwritten and the changes are lost.
    With the child theme you can freely modify the theme and keep it up to date.
  • Hi  (I'll post here to save another thread)

I'm wanting to modify one of the the template files "content-post.php" and have placed the new version in the Child Theme folder but its not loading on the site. Do I need to just place it directly within the Child Theme folder, or also create a new "Includes" folder within the Child theme and then add the content-post.php file to that?

Thanks
  • sybez
    Hello,
    yes, you have to keep the same directory paths as in the parent theme.
    You also have to require_once() those files in the functions.php file.
    You will find this in the child theme. Edit the functions.php file and scroll down, you will see a commented function already inserted there
    thanks
  • HI I can't seem to find the child theme can you help?
  • The "Child Theme" is included in the package of the betheme.
    Just download it once more from the themeforest and upload it into wordpress as a separate theme.
    thanks