installing child theme?

In the documentation I read, about how to install BeTheme, that I should install betheme.zip. But the documentation doesn't say anything about installing the child theme. Do I need to install and activate the child theme? 
When do I need to do that, and when not?

Comments

• Hi,
    it is very simple. You download the betheme.zip and betheme-child.zip.
    Install the betheme child theme like you would the parent theme and activate it.
    Only update the parent theme.
    thanks
  • Thank you for explaining how I can install the child theme. But I already knew that.
    My question was if and when (in which cases) I should install the child theme (and in which cases not).
  • edited January 2019
    BeTheme's Child Theme should be installed before you modify your theme files - and this is the only case when it should be installed.
    If you don't do it, then while updating the Theme to the newest version all of your changes will be overwritten.

I hope it's easy to understand
    Thanks

• I'm not sure if I understand you. I use the Theme Options and the Customizer in Wordpress to change the appearance of the theme. Does that count as 'modifying the theme'?
  • No, of course not.
    By "modifying the theme" - I mean customizing the code(html, js, php codes) in theme files.
    Thanks