Performance issues

Hello,

I've got a new WP installation, installed BE Theme and bundled plugins, and din't do anything else yet. The site takes really long to load, especially considering there's not even any images or anything on it yet.

On Google PageSpeed Insights I got a 29 Score, with a Time to Interactive of 7.3s

When I switch to Twenty twenty theme, I get a Score of 82, Time to Interactive of 1.7s.

I've then tried installing one of the pre-built sites, but the performance stayed the same.
Admin Dashboard is sluggish as well, and gets quicker as soon as I deactivate BE Theme. Something must be wrong here, what can I do to get decent performance?

Thank you!
  • WP Version  5.3.2
  • MySQL Version 5.6.41
  • PHP Version  7.3.2
  • PHP Memory Limit  256 MB
  • PHP Time Limit  180
  • PHP Max Input Vars  5000
  • WP Max Upload Size 20 MB
  • cURL 
  • DOMDocument 

Comments

• Hello,
    You must be aware, that BeTheme is a really big multipurpose template which includes a lot of functionalities and extend the default wordpress.
    It is normal that default themes will be loading faster, because they are a lot slimmer.

But, when your website will be ready, you could use some minify plugin or compress images to be optimised.
    Also, you can use the static css method to boost-up loading css files:

Thanks
  • Hi Pablo,

I am aware that BeTheme is a multipurpose template and I've used quite a few others in the past. But never ever have I seen a 7 sec load time out of the box.
    I know there are some caching plugins and optimizations to improve performance, but that's maybe to take it from 2.5 sec to 1.5 sec. - if I'll start at 7 it'll never be acceptable.

Are you saying this performance is the "normal" expected scenario with this theme??
  • The most important thing on loading speed is related to the server itself, maybe it's overloaded right now?
    As you can see, our previews of pre-built websites are loading in 1s-2s

The only way to speed it up will be as I said:
    - Minifying
    - Caching
    - Static CSS
    - Better hosting
    - Decreasing amount of the plugins

Thanks
  • Yes you're right, seems like the iPage server couldn't handle it. I've put it on a different web host now and performance is much better. 

Thanks for your help!