Accessibility

Hi,

i would like to make a clients website accessible for handicaped visitors.
Iis there anything i can do in betheme options or do you have any further advice for me?

In which parts is the BeTheme accessible in relation to the WCAG (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/)?
I think, the submenu e.g. is not accessible...

I would be glad to get any hints... :-)

Thanks!

Comments

• Hello,
    Sadly, we do not have any tool for WCAG.
    Tell me, which functionalities are you looking for?
    Thanks
  • Hi,

i'm just starting with this topic...what i can tell so far:

the whole site should be accessible via keyboard.
    e.g. the submenu doesn't seem to be accessible via keyboard. this would be absolutely necessary.

the actual focused content should be highlighted in some way so you see where you are when navigating via keyboard. there are plugins for this, but maby it is sth to consider to integrate in further updates?

generally a high contrast is good for people with poor eyesight. often this is against design and ci, so a button for changing contrast view and an ability for defining alternative contrast colors would be a great thing to consider for future updates as well...

i read about ARIA lables, which should be great to have. but i actually don't know by now for which conent exactly this is recommended. Buttons, forms, tabs, popups...?!

another problem is the language of text. a lot of people with special needs have problems to understand complex senteces and long text. they would need to have everything in short and simple language. i could imagine sth like optional popup for alternative content...

for blind people it is necessary to have all content (text and visual) to read out. so anything for facilitating this would be nice. i don't have any idea by now.

that's all i know so far which would be great to enable.

Thanks!
  • Well, for high contrast you should make the colors more bright, it can be achieved but not all of the elements will be bright from beginning - some of them will require CSS code to modify them.

About the popups, you can make several buttons for WCAG, you can make popups with betheme using the shortcode, content of it depends on you.

Well, that's all solutions I can suggest, all of the others (which you suggested) are not available with the BeTheme at all.

Thanks
  • Hi pablo,

ok, thanks for your answer. actually what you suggested is not what i need.
    of course accessibility is a special task and it is a lot to think about.

one more question, are you planning to make yout theme more accessible with future updates? e.g. making the submenu accessible via keyboard or (if this is possible) implementing the ARIA lables?

Thanks

• Nobody asked about it to be honest.

We'll consider it surely ;)
    Thanks
  • just posted it over there...

Thank you :-)
  • Accessibility is a big issue in the UK. All government sites need to be updated by September 2020. There are over 10,000 Parish Council websites alone. It looks like we wont be able to use BeTheme any more. There are plugins we will try before looking at alternative Themes. If you can add keyboard tabbing etc that would be awesome. Thanks!

• yes, please!!! :-)
  • Thanks, I passed this information to the developers. THey will have to see how much work has to be done in order to make it work. For now I cannot give you a solid answer. Please let yourself remind us about this in a week or two.
    thanks
  • Wow, that sounds great!
    Thanks... :-)
  • Awesome. Thanks.
  • Hi,

do you have any news about accessibillity for future updates jet?

Thanks!

• edited July 2020
    amtenbrink

Hey,
    we are currently working on a lot of stuff so we do not think that we will be able to implement those features until september 2020.
    I cannot give you a solid date right now. We will for sure try to implement the accessibility option to our theme.
    thanks

• ok, that sounds great anyway!
    thanks for your (honest) reply.

• Hi Bryan,

Did you manage to integrate accessibility into the Theme in September? I am just looking at a new project which will require it. 

Thanks
  • We did not integrate it to the BeTheme yet.
    Surely, if it will appear, it will be included in the changelog, right in the link here:

thanks
  • No problem, I noticed Bryan said it was going to be added in Sept and thought maybe you had missed it off the changelog. I will stick a diary note in to check again in a month or two.
  • Hi!

Are there any updates on this topic yet? Of course there are some plugins like One Click Accessibility and WP Accessibility Helper, but e.g. enlarging the text does not work well. The font itself is enlarged, but not the line height. Paragraphs and list items are not enlarged at all. Therefore an integrated solution would be very desirable.

Regards Hendrik

• Hello @mdeutz,

Our team is focused on finishing the new version of the builder, and for now, we do not plan to introduce these functionalities. Moreover, we tried to add some of them, but they are not so easy to implement.

At this moment, I can only recommend you to search for the plugin that would have such functionalities.

Thanks