WP Bakery Visual Composer with BE Theme [How to update Visual Composer plugin?]

2»

Comments

• @creativepancakes No, you won't lose anything because everything is stored in database.
  • edited May 2015
    It looks like we might be seeing some enhancements for updating bundled plugins that are outside of WP repo.  But for now, can't this be done by simply passing min version in the TGM settings of each new theme update that includes newer plugin versions?

• @pingram3541 At this moment this unfortunately can not be done because the list of current updates is very long and first we must do things that people requested in the past.
  • np, thanks for acknowledging the functionality and that we might get it in the future.  I might shoot you a gist if I find the time. =)
  • pingram3541 

Your solution was the best explained. What I had to do was download the complete theme files download again (not use the envato toolkit plugin to do the work for me). Then overwrite the plugin in the directory via FTP (using the new zip file downloaded packaged within BeTheme files zip). A bit convoluted I must admit.

So yeah, the auto update works well with the core theme files (using envato toolkit plugin) but the associated plugins that are bundled don't auto update as well.
  • edited September 2015
    Yes, I had to figure this out the hard way.  Revolution Slider had an update but BeTheme did not have it. Then about a week later, BeTheme updated their theme with the Revolution Slider. Using Envata Toolkit, I updated the Theme.  However Revolution Slider did NOT update.  ????   So, instead of making a forum discussion about this and wasting time, I just purchased the Revolution Slider directly from CodeCanyon. It sucked because Revolution plugin came with the BeTheme.  [However, I guess the best part is that it now automatically updates.]

Visual Composer (VC) bundled with BeTheme has the same problem as Revolution Slider. I have upgraded to BeTheme 9.5 and the new update comes with Virtual Composer 4.7. However, unless you actually download the nearly 100MB complete BeTheme file from ThemeForest (forget the Envato Toolkit), then FTP the VC / Revolution Slider plugin separately, the plugin will not update. 

This is best demonstrated by the screenshots below:

As you can see, at the Themeforest BeTheme Changelog (http://themeforest.net/item/betheme-responsive-multipurpose-wordpress-theme/7758048), it says BeTheme 9.5 comes with an update to the Visual Composer plugin (i.e. js_composer):

So, using Envato Toolkit plugin, I updated the Theme.  As you can see, I now have installed the current theme. "BeTheme Version: 9.5"
    However, even though the BeTheme was updated to the 9.5 version, the VC 4.7 plugin (i.e. js_composer)that came bundled did NOT update. As you can see, prompts me to update and says I am on 4.51.

Again, to fix this and update the premium plugins included with BeTheme, you have to download the entire BeTheme again from ThemeForest (sighing), then unzip and over-write the VC or Revolution Slider plugin using FTP.  X(  Grrrrr.  NOTE: I would backup first!

• @kmbold Plugins that are bundled into theme packages, do never come with license keys or anything like that. That's the rules on this marketplace. If you want to get license key for the plugin, you must buy plugin separately. However, there is no need to do this because all updates are usually on time with the theme. Of course, when you do update theme, you should remember to update plugins as well because plugins do never update automatically with theme. This is just impossible. So if you want to update plugins like Revolution Slider or Visual Composer, you must follow the steps on this support forum. Both of them, can be updated via FTP only at this moment and we understand very well why plugin's authors chosen this way for updates. This is the safest method obviously. This is the only way to update plugins now.

P.S. We have no idea how you use Envato Toolkit plugin if it does not work since few weeks what you can read about on https://github.com/envato/envato-wordpress-toolkit/issues/85
  • Right, I was basically commenting on the Envato Toolkit and how users can't rely on that to update the plugins.  No worries, I got it. fine.
  • edited October 2015
    Why don't you simply use a lib like TGM Plugin Activation? It simplifies the way required - and even packaged - plugins can be installed and/or updated from within your theme.
    Edit: Already requested by pingram3541, so double post
  • edited November 2015
    MuffinGroup, 

I like your theme and have had good support on other issues, but the proper solution and responsibility of Your Support Team, as the vendor of the themes you create and sell, is to make issues like this update process as easy for Your Customer Base to accomplish and as automated as possible. This issue has been happening for well over TWO YEARS, as documented in this forum.

Stating you have other issues that are already in the queue for you to work on, is stating a message to your Customers that this issue is Not Your Priority, which translates well to them that they and this issue isNot Important Enough for You to spend Any Time to Resolve it in THE LAST TWO YEARS!  

Yet, your support team has spent MANY HOURS dealing with the Same Issue Over and Over Again. That is a poor use of your time and your Customers Time.

Please make this a priority, make your New Customers Happy Customers, not Frustrated, and have One Developer take a couple of hours TODAY and do the following:

1.)  Create a Script that will replace the installed Premium Plugin Folder with the newest plugin update, so the users do not have to do this manually.  You can update the plugin directory on your service, server or ftp site and ALL Your Customers, through the Script, can have their Premium Plugin Folder updated and go on with their lives.

2.) Create a Button on the Premium Plugins Options Page next to each Premium Plugin that says "Update Plugin to Newest Version" or "Newest Version" or something that would Run the Script created in step #1, to at least pseudo automate the process and make this very easy for your New Customers to do. You only need the Premium Plugin Vendors to email the new update, so you can update the folder as they update their plugins.  This one step for you will stop all your support questions about it.

3.) Add this process to your Documentation for the Premium Plugins Options Page, so everyone can find it and easily understand how to update Your Theme Included Premium Plugins which do not update automatically, as Your New Customers ARE EXPECTING IT TO DO.

4.) Create a new build of your theme and distribute it through envato as normal.

You could resolve this issue with a few lines of code AND prevent the frustration all of Your Future New Customer should this Issue remain as it is TODAY.  Over TWO YEARS with this SAME ISSUE ONGOING is very poor management of your support departments priority list. The Business Owner should have corrected this YEARS AGO, just because of all of the Sales He or She IS LOSING from referrals alone.
    Just my .05 (5 Cents... Inflation... :) )
  • @TLawless27 Looks like you don't know how update process for plugins bundled into theme works. We just can tell you that this is not allowed by Envato. Also, VC's author remove different files in different versions what makes this process impossible. This is one of the main reasons why this process can not be improved in any way and there is no workaround for that as well. 

So basically, some things are not possible or not allowed and that's why plugins like VC which are bundled with theme, can be updated manually only.

Thanks for understanding!
  • edited November 2015
    Hey Muffin Group,

awesome theme. Love building with it. Great buy. Just a question, Visual Composer is on 4.8.1. The One currently in the Theme Version 10.6 is 4.4.1. Can you tell me when you are about to include the latest Version? Just curious, Muffin Builder works awesome for me too. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Never mind... i got it. ;-)

Yumone

• @yumone We're glad to hear that you sorted it out :)
  • Hello
    I've got the update of WPBakery Visual Composer with downloaded theme update. I'm not sure if I can remove the old version of the plugin without any consequences for my website. What is the manual procedure of updating this plugin? 

Thanks in advance, M
  • @Monika_Ka All details about plugin's update we left above. All you need to do is:

1st step: deactivate plugin
    2nd step: delete plugin
    3rd step: upload the plugin (you have to download the BeTheme update, extract it, and select the BeTheme\Plugins\js_composer.zip file to upload). Screenshots and more details -> http://forum.tagdiv.com/update-the-visual-composer-plugin-wpbakery/

That's it!
  • Hi

So once plugins have been unzipped within betheme/plugins do I then need to upload them to wp-content/plugins?

Or betheme/plugins

Thanks
  • Hi Mumford :) I'm interested in this, also.
  • @mumford wp-content/plugins/ folder. This is the place where all plugin files are.
  • What is with the attitude! 
    You shouldn't be arguing or shouting at your customers, so unprofessional. 
    When you delete/uninstall the plugin, it is going to cause interruption. I understand it's an external plugin, and it's built that way but coming here for help and reading all this mean 'support' is beyond disappointing. Asking people what's not clear like, come on guys!
    Answer the questions patiently, and be professional like you claim to be!
    Just needed to get it out there. GOD!
  • @Marcusz123 Maybe it's the difference between countries we live and that's why you get it wrong. We are not from the country where we apologize for everything (even for that we life or breathe) like some other people here so the difference must be between cultures. But we definitely do not shout.

However, if something in this topic is unclear for you, hope that the following one http://forum.muffingroup.com/betheme/discussion/15314/how-to-update-visual-composer-visual-composer-plugin-update would be much clear for you :)

Thanks!
  • I have new Be theme with VC can i activate my license ? and whare?
  • You do not activate the plugins that come bundled with the theme. If you buy them seperately you need to activate to get premium functions.
  • Good evening

My Website Bakery Plugin is asking me for a licence and I have bought BeThemes and activated it with my licence key.

The Website Bakery is not working

It says the following:

In order to receive all benefits of WPBakery Page Builder, you need to
    activate your copy of the plugin. By activating WPBakery Page Builder
    license you will unlock premium options - direct plugin updates, access to template library and official support.

Does this not come automatically bundled with BeThemes?

If I try and ACTIVATE it it gives  sme the following message:

No licenses found

It seems that you do not have any valid license for WPBakery Page Builder. What does it mean?
    It may be so that you got WPBakery Page Builder by purchasing WordPress theme which does not grant you with
    direct license for WPBakery Page Builder. Why do I need direct license? Direct product
    license
    unlocks several benefits:

And what must I do now?

Please advise  urgently

Thank you
  • Ilseventer
    HI,
    The plugins you buy with the theme are not premium plugins, if you want instant updates you have to buy the plugins separaetly. The license key from enavto is only to register the theme. The plugins do not need to be registered.
    thanks
  • Hi,
    I'm following the steps for the manual update of the VC plugin, however the location of the plugin seems to be invalid: betheme.zip/plugins/ folder
    Actual structure: betheme.zip/functions/plugins (no plugins folder at the main level).
    Then, there is no zip in the plugins folder, simply visual-composer.php. I've tried uploading this via Filezilla to the plugins folder on its own and by putting in a Visual Composers folder w/ no luck.
    I re-downloaded my files from Themeforest today. Please advise, thanks.
  • You are using a very outdated method. We do not include the plugin files in the theme package. You can only download them from wordpress>betheme>install plugins.
    Make sure your theme is updated so you can see this option.
    thanks