sidebars get exchanged on themselves

This happened to me many times and is extremely problematic. This causes huge navigation problems and can't be easily detected, I just have to check website manually. I use different sidebars on different sub-pages. Every now and then I find out that certain pages that used to have sidebar A, now have sidebar B. Usually all the pages that had sidebar X, after some event get switched to another, sidebar Y. It is very hard to tell what initiates this switches. I have two candidates:

1. Just two days ago I added new sidebar ('mainpage') in theme options, then configured its widget and changed option for page 'main page'. I changed it from 'no sidebar' to 'right sidebar' with 'mainpage' sidebar. Everything is fine, except that today I realized one sub-page (https://niechzyja.pl/dzialaj/) with left sidebar 'dzialaj' got switched and now has left sidebar 'mainpage'. I fixed it.
2. In the past I think we got o total mix-up of sidebars on our pages, when we changed the order of elements in main menu. Or moved one subpage from one main category to another. Lets say we have category 'A' and all the pages in it have sidebar 'A'. Also, category 'B' with 'B' sidebars. Now we change one page from 'mother' A to B. Then we would just have to change the sidebar from A to B, but this caused random changes of all the sidebar, sometime on whole webpage!

This has happened at least 10 times in last year. Each time we have to reconfigure some or all the pages. The above mentioned causes may be false, problem may be somewhere else. But id definitely exists. Sidebars set on a webpage should never change on their own! Are we correct? There should be absolutely no situation, when a sidebar changes on its own. The only reason may be the deletion of the sidebar.

Are You aware of this problem? Our website: https://niechzyja.pl/

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Hi,
    If you set the sidebar for the normal page then it will not gonna change the sidebar automatically.
    There is no option like that even in core wordpress.

Sidebars will change automatically only on "posts" from blog.
    Or did I misunderstand you?
    Thanks
  • No, we're talking only about pages. Our posts don't have sidebars at all. Example: https://niechzyja.pl/dzialaj/. This 'page' without any edits, somehow got another sidebar, called 'mainpage'. Which I created 2 days ago and assigned temporarily to the main mage (at this point main page once doesn't have sidebar). What I am telling is that at some point, during creating of new sidebars in theme options, adjusting widgets or altering 'mother pages' or menu elements - sidebars of some pages get changed, without any action of a user.
  • Hey,

Please send us WordPress dashboard access privately thru the contact form which is on the right side at http://themeforest.net/user/muffingroup#contact and we will check what might be the reason.

Notice!
    Please attach a link to this forum discussion.

Thanks
  • I sent the data. This is one of these problems, that is difficult to provide a specific path to recreate. However, we encountered it many times, sidebars on pages beeing switched without any user actions.
  • We tested it in many ways and it works fine, sidebar is not changing by itself.
    It's not possible to change it automatically, because pages are not inheriting any sidebars from anything.

Inheriting works only when you're using blog feature, which makes 'posts' inherit option from their parent.

But, do not remove these login credentials for our support account, if you will find the way how to recreate it, please tell us - we'll investigate it and find th problem.

Thanks
  • If I counted how many times i've seen this word 'it is not possible' from IT companies and then it turns out to be a bug... :) It doesn't have to be inherited to be a problem. There might be some trigger or other problem. I am the only administrator on this website and I can tell you 100% that it happened automatically. These pages with switched sidebars were not edited at all.
  • Yes, but inheriting is the most presumable case which could be problem.
    I hope, that you will find the way to recreate the problem, because at this point we can do nothing to be honest.
    We do not know where to search for the problem in our code.

Greetings
  • I don't know how to recreate the problem. Next time it will happen - I still won't know what caused it. You could just check every sql command connected with sidebars. Where is information about sidebar assiocited with page stored, in wp_postmeta? To find the problem you might set up a trigger that would save some information in separate problem. It would give some analytical data.
  • edited July 2019
    We already made some tests and nothing wrong happened, but we provided that information to the developers team.
    When we'll notice something wrong with the sidebars, we'll get you noticed.

Thanks

• OK, please check this page:

According to wordpress it was last updated 11 months ago (you can check it). Then how is this possible, that we can see (on the left) a sidebar that was created about a week ago? This page should have the same sidebar as all the pages from this main menu category, like this one:

• Sorry, but Wordpress and BeTheme do not change the sidebar by himself.
    That's not possible - if it would be the problem of BeTheme we would have a lot of questions on the forum like yours.

We think, that the problem can be related to your third-party plugins because you have a lot of them.
    You're using a plugin like: "fuse floating sidebar" which can be the source of the problem too.

Thanks
  • Could you please tell me, where the information about sidebar is stored? I will look for potential problems myself.
  • We cannot tell exactly where informations in database are stored, but surely whole functionality of sidebars which is coming from BeTheme is stored in functions folder, find for "theme-sidebars.php" file

Do not forget about wordpress files, this is the core of our sidebars feature.
    Thanks

• I meant the database. Where sidebars are associated to posts or pages
  • We suggest not to do it, it's the first step to make your website work badly.
    Also, if your sidebar is changing, then it's being replaced there, so changing anything there is not a solution.

But, if you still want to do it, then it's the original path which is in wordpress.
    So, it's in options table, it's named 'sidebars_widgets' as I remember.
    Thanks

• I am not going to change anything in the database, just look for the cause of the problem. wp_options doesn't get updated, when I change sidebar on page - I checked it. Please, tell me where is the connection between page and sidebar stored.
  • We (as a support team) do not have this kind of knowledge, exactly: how wordpress save the sidebar content or how it's handling it.
    Also, the theme is not customizing/extending the sidebar functionality of wordpress, so it's not a theme question.

Sorry, but all what we can do now is redirecting you to the codex(documentation) of wordpress sidebars:

Thanks
  • Sidebar is a standard functionality of wordpress. However, having different sidebars on each page/post is not. Standard wordpress allowes to set a sidebar for whole theme. Custom sidebars on each page/post requires custom code of plugins/themes. And problem is exactly in this fragment - connection between pages and sidebars. Therefore problem is somewhere in a solution designed by You. It might be caused by other plugins, that is why I would like to check it (if You decline), just tell me where the connection is stored.
  • We do not do anything with the database regarding the sidebars. It is all done by WordPress. We only register the sidebar if there is a custom sidebar. The sidebar selector in page options, can only be changed manually. The page options or the PHP functions are mulfunctioning due to plugins. Please go to the wordpress codex and seek information there. We provide only theme support here thus we do not have such detailed information regarding this topic.
    thanks